VMware Communities
chathuo2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cannot connect to the internet. Network error on Vmware

Hi,

I have been using VMware for more than a year now and I have been using private wifi and public wifi. Never had any issues.

After the first 6 months of using VMware I wasn't able to connect to internet on my VMware PCs. So I changed the below-shown setting and it started to work again on all my VMware PCs.

All I did was change from Host-Only to Bridged

pastedImage_0.png

After another 3 months I wasn't able to connect to internet on my VMware PCs and this time it only happened when I was connected to public wifi on my host computer.

When connected to mobile data this doesn't happen.

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

I would really appreciate it if anyone could provide me with a solution for this concern.

Thank you

Kind regards

Chathuka

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chathuo2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

None of the solutions worked for me except this. I deleted the NETWORK ADAPTER from the options menu. Clicked on ok. Went back to options and added the NETWORK ADAPTER again. And pressed ok. Problem Solved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi chathuo2,

Check in Virtual Network Editor (under Edit menu) and see what network adapter is being bound for the Bridged connection:

VMware Workstation - network editor.jpg

In the past I have had VMware Workstation appear to get stuck on a particular network adapter (often due to resume from sleep and connecting to another network). Check in the Network Editor and select the other network if required to see if this works.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
chathuo2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I checked and I am having the similar settings except first it opened a window with some different settings but then when I clicked on ADMIN PRIVILEGES it then opened the window again and then it had the same settings you are having.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

It still didn't work. Apart from this, I tried uninstalling the below two adapters and reinstalling them but that was unsuccessful too.

pastedImage_4.png

If I have done anything incorrectly or if you have any other ideas on how I can get this issue resolved please let me know. I am still stuck with what you can see below

pastedImage_5.png

Thank you

Sincerely

Chathuka    

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do not use "auto-bridgeing" when you create a bridged network.
Do not use "Custom" for vmnet0 - instead assign vmnet0 to a physical network card.
If you think you need to violate one of the 2 rules above you may need to create your vmx-files manually - see sanbarrow.com

chathuo2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Actually, these are the correct settings that I currently have and I believe it is the same as what you mentioned. If there is any mistake kindly let me know. There is still no internet access, unfortunately.

pastedImage_0.png

Thank you

Sincerely

Chathuka     

0 Kudos
chathuo2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any idea why this happens only when I connect to a public wifi? Because on home wifi and mobile wifi it works fine. Note that it used to work fine on public wifi too. This is a very new problem.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi there,

As continuum​ has mentioned - if you want to guarantee the physical adapter used then you need to implicity select it. It appears the selection of the adapter that is used is arbitary according to the documentation:

Workstation - Network Automatic Selection.jpg

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
mtk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

for grins i just tried this on my problem and it fixed it!  i changed the setting from automatic to specifically targeting the physical network interface and now everything works!  the automatic bridged setting is what you get if you reset the interfaces from the virtual network editing tool, hence you would think it is correct.  can you explain what's going on?

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi there,

Without an proof, I actually think it is related to the interface metric. The lower the number is the one that is used for binding... again no proof but have the same issue at work. At home I have no issues but when I enter the workplace, Workstation will select the WiFi adapter.

Easier to just hard code it and not worry about it Smiley Happy

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
chathuo2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

None of the solutions worked for me except this. I deleted the NETWORK ADAPTER from the options menu. Clicked on ok. Went back to options and added the NETWORK ADAPTER again. And pressed ok. Problem Solved.

0 Kudos