VMware Communities
StoutMD
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot connect to Guest using Bridged Networking

Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF) - Using Vmware Workstation 8 on Windows 7 SP1 I am unable to connect to the guest OS when using bridged networking.

Troubleshooting Steps Attempted:

• Tried multiple Guest OSes (Linux) all the same results.
  • Verified Guest OS is listening on all IP addresses (netsat -an | grep -i listen, and reviewed for wildcard IP address.)
  • Connected to Guest OS with no changes other than networking mode to Host Only and NAT
  • Attempted to telnet to port 80 (No Luck)
  • Attempted multiple browsers (Chrome, Firefox and IE)
  • Restarted Guest OS (Many times)
  • Uninstalled Vmware and Reinstalled Vmware

Guest is pingable from Host and external boxes.  Guest OS can connect to external sources (i.e. browser, etc.).  Secondary boxes and host OS can ping guest.  There is no firewall running, verified through command line and by changing networking to Host Only and NAT, where I can connect.  Currently running vmware 8.0.4 build-744019.

I would really appreciate any help on this.  I've run multiple webservers and appliances in the past, althogh this is the first time I've attempted it on this box.

Thanks much,

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Reply
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Some questions:

Can you ping by host names as well as IP?

What do you get from ipconfig/all (host) and ifconfig -a (guest) while in bridged mode?

Anything strange in result from route command (guest) or route print command (host)?

Can you telnet  from host to guest? By IP? By  hostname?

How about SSH? (putty in host).

Lou

Edit:

FWIIW, I am running Apache in a Ubuntu guest and  can connect (by IP address) from both the (Linux) host and a Windows guest. All running in bridged mode. Connect means I get the "It Works" page. So, it "should" work.

0 Kudos