VMware Communities
tmarkou
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot connect esata external drive to virtual machine

I am running VMware Workstation on Windows Vista 64bit. I was connecting to an external USB drive within my virtual machine and had no problem with it. I want to switch to an esata external drive but am having problems seeing the drive from within my virtual machine. The USB drive would disconnect from the host machine and would appear within my virtual machine. I expected the same to happen with the asata drive but it's not happening. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I'm missing?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Your guest has no concept of an eSata interface at all. It is an Intel 440BX compatible chipset motherboard.

Easiest way is to just use Windows File Sharing to map to your host's external drive from your guest.

0 Kudos
tmarkou
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I've done that and it does work. What I'm really after though is to point my IIS root directory to an external disk drive so that I can run my web server with data completely outside my virtual environment. I was able to do this with my previous USB approach to an external hard disk. The problem I'm running into is that the final ok button is greyed out when I point the IIS root to a mapped drive - I cannot complete the process, although the system sees the files. It's as if the external hard disk has to be completely and soley dedicated to the virtual environment. This is also the case with SQL server.

Someone said that this might be a permissions issue. I played around with permissions but I'm not sure at what level I should be looking at.

0 Kudos