VMware Communities
Silverfinch
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot connect/disconnect devices to/from powered off VMs

I don't find how to connect or disconnect e. g. a network adapter (I assume, a virtual network cable), a USB device, etc. to or from a virtual machine when it is powered off or suspended - only when it is up and running.

Same with CDs that I can't insert / take out while the machine is powered off or suspended.

Is this intentional?

With the optical media, I can understand it - it emulates the behavior of physical hardware, but by no means USB devices, network cables, floppies (although outdated today). (Since the first version I had a license of Workstation, that is, 4.)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Check the documentation for full details on what you can and can’t change, and in some cases when you can and can’t: Configuring Virtual Machine Hardware Settings

You will find there are some constraints on suspended VMs for example,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Not all necessay config-functions are exposed in the GUI.

If you want to have full control you still need to edit the vmx-file.

0 Kudos