VMware Communities
Tonatiuh2011101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot change network to bridged: There are no un-bridged host network adapter.

I got this problem after reinstalling my host computer and my VMW WS10 software.

"Cannot change network to bridged: There are no un-bridged host network adapter."

There is an article about this but it send to another one, which is not possible to follow up because this messages appears and avoid any further action since the first moment I click on "Bridged (connect..." option button. And when I click OK on the message box, the selected option is again "Host-only". So that, I cannot get to the point where I can click on "Automatic Settings..." button.

VMware KB: Workstation fails to bridge adapter with error: Cannot change network to bridged: There a...

http://pubs.vmware.com/ws8/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=using_ws/GUID-4D35D1FC-5926-45A8-9...

Cannot select bridged network.jpg

Any idea?

10 Replies
Tonatiuh2011101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It seems to be a conflict with Intel LAN drivers.

I have removed the Intel LAN Drivers and let Windows assign a generic LAN drivers, VMware Workstation is able to add a Bridged Network. But this gives me conflict with another software (which does not have much to config), which is another long story. But this is not an acceptable state.

If I install again the Intel LAN Driver VMware seems to still work with bridged network but after a reboot, the bridged network is automatically removed from VMware and the problem comes again to the same behavior.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Tonatiuh2011101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is 100% confirmed. VMware Workstation 10 cannot work Bridged Networks with an Intel 82474L LAN and using any native Intel driver (I already testes the last version). It only works if the driver is a Windows "generic" driver, which is not good for me, because I need other functions which are only in the original Intel Driver.

I think I will need to change my LAN adapter. Any sugestions of LAN card models which working with its native driver works well with VMware Workstation 10?

Regards,

0 Kudos
jociz
Contributor
Contributor

Intel(R) I350 Gigabit Network + Intel system driver on Win7 x64 is working with VMware V10 as virtual bridged network.

0 Kudos
TommyFreddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You have two network adapter and one is using for NAT. So how you go for Bridge without adding a new adapter? Please add another Network adapter  and try for Bridge that might be help.

0 Kudos
REINDERS
Contributor
Contributor

@@ !I saw this problem on Workstation 12. I see serveral issues with this environment (on Windows 10), you should always run as administrator the network config and also VW WS it self, change the shortcut for this (advanced, run as administrator).  Then Restore the network settings to default, now Bridging works again. A bit problematic if you have a whole set of configured VM2 VM18 and so networks but for me it was the only solution quick an dirty.  It would be better if I knew the source of this problem. My problem came when had to repair VMworkstation in control panel because the programm was damaged.

0 Kudos
quachluom
Contributor
Contributor

Please try this steps:

Open properties of your physical network card which would like to choose as bridge.

pastedImage_2.png

Click Install to add "VMWare Bidge Protocol" service

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_0.png

After this step you can change your setting in Virtual Network Editor.

Hope this help.

FabianCasanova
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! it works for me.... :smileygrin:

All best,

Fabian

0 Kudos
sweeneys
Contributor
Contributor

Confirmed that this corrects the condition in Windows 10 when using Workstation 12.1.1.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
VictorySol
Contributor
Contributor

None of these options worked for me because when I went to install under the interface properties in windows, there was no service option available for the Bridge Protocol.

I got it to work after using Virtual Network Editor and adding VMNet0 as a host-only network, then going into device manager and using "Update Driver Software" on VMNet0. Choosing "Let me pick from a list of drivers..." and choosing the Bridging Driver thus updated the driver. The VMN0 disappeared from interfaces.

After this the error for changing to bridged VMN0 in Editor disappeared and auto bridging/ manual worked, and I could set up the VM to use it successfully.

Problem solved. There is also a vmnetbridge.sys driver file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ that you could use if its not found via the other methods, though the browser usually only looks for .inf files.

P.S. This has been a real pain, and their kb articles were very unhelpful.

0 Kudos
justjack_again
Contributor
Contributor

Lost my VMNet0 after "restore defaults". This was the first solution that worked for me! Thanks!

I had to log in as admin on my physical laptop (work computer) to access the "Install" button.

Also, had to restart physical machine after making the change, before it would show up in VM Network Editor.

0 Kudos