VMware Communities
Olaf_van_der_Sp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot change network to bridged: No unbridged host adapters

After the update to 12.5 (from 12) I lost my VMnet0 bridged adapter.. and I can't add it back.

Yesterday I uninstalled / reinstalled Workstation and I got it back but today it's gone again. I'm not running AV, I don't have any (other) VM adapters, (wired) internet works fine on the host system..

Any ideas?

Tags (1)
59 Replies
AndreasFurtjes
Contributor
Contributor

I was observing the same problem.

Somehow I got the bridged connection working again after some fiddling. What I observe is that if I select 'Change settings' in the Edit->Virtual Network Edit the VMnet0 entry appears.....

Waiting for an explanation of VMWare.....

0 Kudos
Javel1n
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This problem also covered in this topic = No bridged networking with 12.5 on Win7 x64 host

2 people using intel adapter got a problem, are you using intel too?

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for reporting this issue. Can you attach all log files vminst*.log and vmmsi*.log under %temp% directory? Thanks very much!

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Thanks for using Workstation.

It will be very helpful if you send us the support bundle so that we can identify the problem. Go to Help -> Support -> Collect Support Data... and upload the support bundle zip file saved on your desktop to here. Thank you.

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Anybody share your support bundle to us will be greatly helpful for us to triage the issue. Even you switch back to the 12.1.1, it will be helpful to know your environment/config info so that we can manage to reproduce it in the same environment.

To collect support bundle, there are couple of ways:

1. From Workstation UI: Go to Help -> Support -> Collect Support Data... and upload the support bundle zip file. (If you have any issue to run the UI, you can use method 2)

2. For Workstation Player/Workstation Pro: Go to Player/Workstation Pro installation path: C:\Program Files(x86)\VMware\VMware Player (VMware Workstation), find the vm-support.vbs and double click it.

Upload the vmsupport-2016-*-*.zip to the forum, or if you do not want to upload to here. You can send it to me directly. My email is: twang at vmware.com

Thank you for your understanding and appreciate it.

0 Kudos
camge
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tony,

I have tried both UI and vbscript but all didn't work unfortunately.

After did some quick checking, I found the script failed on this line:

Fso.CopyFile AppData & "\VMware\vmnet*.*" , workdir & "\Misc"

I checked "C:\ProgramData\VMware" and there were no any vmnet files.

So, I marked this line and run the script again, then I got the support data finally.

The zipped support data was sent to you via email.

Feel free to let me know if there are any questions.

Best Regards,

Camge

tracywang
Expert
Expert

Thank you so much. Camge. I got your email and support bundle. I have a few questions to confirm first:

1. How about your bridged network? Is it working or not? Any workaround did you tried to make it work?

2. Did you have any VM running while upgrade to 12.5.0, which action did you performed, suspend it or shutdown it or run in the background?

3. Did you select "Enhanced Keyboard Driver (a reboot will be required to use this feature" option during install 12.5.0 and the previous version?

4. Do you use "enhanced keyboard" feature in your daily job?

0 Kudos
Olaf_van_der_Sp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, I've got an onboard Realtek.

0 Kudos
Olaf_van_der_Sp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

2. I think I exited Workstation with the VM suspending.

3. No

4. No

The log is > 10 MB and it said not to attach it...

Are you looking for anything specific in there?

0 Kudos
camge
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tony,

Here are my anwsers:

1. How about your bridged network? Is it working or not? Any workaround did you tried to make it work?

It doesn't working.

There is a workaround working for me:

a.) Uninstall VMware Workstation 12.5.0 and reboot the machine

b.) Install it again

c.) VMnet0 (which type is Bridged) works again

2. Did you have any VM running while upgrade to 12.5.0, which action did you performed, suspend it or shutdown it or run in the background?

All VMs are shutdown or suspended.

3. Did you select "Enhanced Keyboard Driver (a reboot will be required to use this feature" option during install 12.5.0 and the previous version?

Yes. The previous version is 12.1.0

4. Do you use "enhanced keyboard" feature in your daily job?

No.

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Hi Camge,

I am glad to know your workaround works (That workaround is what we expected to work as well). After you apply the workaround, did you reproduce the bridged networking not working issue anymore? If you reboot the host after applying your network, is there any network issue persistent? Thank you for providing the info to us. Appreciate.

Best regards,

Tony

0 Kudos
camge
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tony,

I cannot reproduce the bridged networking issue after apply the workaround.

All VMs using bridged network work as expected after I reboot the host.

0 Kudos
ILuvNips
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also having the same problems. Can't bridge after a restart of the host and even when you correct this none of VM can connect to the bridged NICs, they all report a status of "Media disconnected".

Tried a whole host of things and then decided to go back to 12.1.1 but even that had issues so had to clean out all of Vmware from the machine, then re-install 12.1.1 then remove all NIC adapters from each and every VM and then re-add them, think I might finally be in a position where I can actually now start using the VMs and do some work.

EDIT: Forgot to add that my server/host has the following NICs:

Intel 82574L Gigabit Network Adaptor

and

Intel I350 Gigabit Network Adaptor

0 Kudos
saintcubsfan
Contributor
Contributor

Tony-

I have emailed my support bundle to you.

In answer to your questions to Camge:

1) Running Windows 7 64-bit.  After upgrading from 12.0 to 12.5 bridged networking is broken.

2) No VMs were running.  I had shut everything down to do the upgrade.  After starting 12.5 for the first time discovered that my virtual network config was gone.

3) I did select Enhanced Keyboard Driver during the 12.5 installation.  I do not recall if I had it selected for 12.0

4) I was going to see if Enhanced Keyboard Driver would pass through the media controls (volume, play, etc.) built into my Logitech keyboard.

-Barry.

0 Kudos
pegasus3
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tony,

another victim, here is what I can add:

- running Win10x64, Version 1511, OS Build 10586.589

- Intel Ethernet adapter I218-V with MS Driver Version 12.12.50.6 of 20.03.2015

- first did the upgrade installation - network no longer working. Before the installation, I shut down all VMs.

- not using the enhanced keyboard driver in 12.0 and did not select it for the 12.5 installation.

- uninstalled 12.5 and did a full reinstall of 12.5 without enhanced keyboard - network was working again, but only for a short time

- tried to troubleshoot the issue, following advice for similar issue in the past - no success

- since I am relying on my VMs for my work and it was very late, I uninstalled 12.5 and reinstalled 12.0 - network works again

I did not delete any of the log files, so if you think that they might contain something of value to solve this issue, please let me know what you want and what I should do.

Kind regards,

Ralf

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for providing the detailed info. We are actively investigating this issue now. If you can send us your support bundle, that will be very helpful.

To collect support bundle, there are couple of ways:

1. From Workstation UI: Go to Help -> Support -> Collect Support Data... and upload the support bundle zip file. (If you have any issue to run the UI, you can use method 2)

2. For Workstation Player/Workstation Pro: Go to Player/Workstation Pro installation path: C:\Program Files(x86)\VMware\VMware Player (VMware Workstation), find the vm-support.vbs and double click it.

Upload the vmsupport-2016-*-*.zip to the forum, or if you do not want to upload to here, you can send it to me directly. My email is: twang at vmware.com

Thank you for your understanding and appreciate it.

0 Kudos
chanlaiwai
Contributor
Contributor

I have just upgraded to 12.5 last night and suffered the same problem. There are 2 NIC on my PC, one is Intel and one is Qualcomm Atheros but neither can be bridged. The error message "'Cannot change network to bridged: No unbridged host adapters'" was prompted.

I tried to remove VMware bridge protocol on NIC properties but it's still not fixed.

Then I tried to open Virtual network editor and clicked restore default button. Default bridged adapter appeared and I could add additional bridged adapter once but all bridged adapters were disappeared after OS reboot.

I think I would uninstall 12.5 and revert to 12.1.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello everyone,

We are so sorry to hear that you ran into such issue. We are currently actively working on this issue. Can you kindly please try below workaround and see if it works for you?

1) Uninstall Workstation 12.5 from Control Panel

2) Remove related drivers/dll at below locations:

Remove vmci.sys, vmx86.sys, hcmon.sys, vmkbd.sys (if any) under C:\Windows\System32\drivers

Remove vmciver.dll under C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\vmci\device

If you cannot remove those files, please reboot host OS before you delete them.

3) Reboot host OS

4) Download Workstation12.5 installation build and install it.

For host OS that has UAC enabled, vmnet0 can only show up if you click "Change settings" in Virtual Network Editor. This is expected behavior because vmnet0 requires administrator privilege.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
saintcubsfan
Contributor
Contributor

Tony-

I managed to get it working again.  I'm not entirely sure how, though.

I was attempting to try somebody's suggestion of restoring default settings in the virtual network editor, rebooting, then restoring default virtual network settings again.  After restoring default settings the second time I still did not have vmnet0 visible. Then I got a trouble ticket for a server, so I launched vSphere Client and worked on that server.  When I went back to Workstation I saw that vmnet0 was back and I was able to turn off automatic bridging for my other VLANs.

And unlike another report I read, my changes survived a reboot.

If I get a little time today (I know, what's that mean?) I'll try to break Workstation again to see if I can reproduce the steps to fixing it.

-Barry.

0 Kudos