VMware Communities
rlaureyns
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot boot PXE on Workstation 12.5.7 EFI VM.

Hi All,

I'm trying to build a test image for Windows 10 from our SCCM 2012 OSD. We installed the VMWare SCSI and NIC drivers to SCCM OSD boot wim. But PXE does not even give an IP. Tried both bridged and NAT NIC. If I switch to BIOS it works but we need EFI to work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ray Laureyns

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

can you change network adapter from VMXNET 3 to E100  and try to install windows 10 . Please let me know if you able to install .

Regards,

Randhir

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It won't work through NAT... You'll need to use bridged.

Be sure to configure the guest for the correct CPU architecture – 32-bit versus 64-bit – because EFI is particularly sensitive to that.  The CPU architecture is implied by your choice of guest OS when configuring the PXE client VM: Choosing "Windows 10" for the guest OS type will cause the VM to use 32-bit EFI, and configuring it for "Windows 10 x64" will use 64-bit EFI.  If the PXE server has no boot image for the requested CPU architecture, PXE will fail very early.

If that doesn't explain the failure, can you supply a packet capture file (.pcap or .pcapng, e.g. from Wireshark) collected from the bridged interface on the host machine, showing the VM's DHCP traffic?  Feel free to trim the capture to exclude anything that isn't bootp and isn't UDP port 4011 (Windows BIS).

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos