VMware Communities
cstocci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot Update nor Install Workstation Pro 16.2.0

Folks,

Old problem with VMware's installer/upgrader.

Case !: When you go the route of the applications upgrader, I get the following dialogs:

cstocci_0-1634339486847.png

then the following dialog:

cstocci_1-1634339522120.png

Case 2: So I downloaded the Workstation Pro version 16.2.0 from my VMware account and do a full install assuming the installation will recognize my licensed 16.1.2 professional version.  However, I get another failure with another dialog:

cstocci_2-1634339628093.png

I have always had this issue with upgrades, but I got around the issue (as others have done in past version upgrades) by "unwrapping" the full download program which had the *.msi updater inside along with the MS VC Redistibutables which I do not need as I already have installed.  This always worked except now they do not allow me to "unwrap" the downloaded executable to do this, so I cannot update my licensed Workstation Pro version 16.1.2 to version 16.2.0.

Has anybody had this issue and what could I do for a workaround?

Thanks!

Chris

8 Replies
cstocci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Folks,

Forgot to mention.  I am running Windows 10 (64-bit) Professional with all of the latest updates and patches to date.

Chris

0 Kudos
ajgringo619
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I just upgraded my Windows 10 Home system to v16.2 via chocolatey; went smooth as silk (don't remember if the MS VC Redistributables were installed separately).

Not sure why there would be any difference installing on Win10 Pro, unless you have some other program(s) that might be conflicting with VMware.

0 Kudos
cstocci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I disabled my antivirus and firewall programs to see if they were causing some kind of interference, but same issues as I stated earlier.  The only reason I was able to upgrade on previous versions was during the "full-install" approach, the executable created an *.msi and another file in the temp directory.  When that happened, I grabbed the *.msi and ran that file and it has always worked perfectly ever since version 15.  I learned this technique from another VMware Workstation Pro user having the same issue I was having with the updater.

What is really weird with this update is the builtin updater in the main application seems to think I am running some version of Windows below 8, like version 7 or something.  It is completely lost on my Windows 10 Pro system.

I am hoping either they simply put out an Windows installer version, i.e., an msi version sooner than later to circumvent this issue.

Chris

0 Kudos
tramp20
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same MS VC Redistibutables problem on Win 10 19044.1288.

0 Kudos
cstocci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Tramp20,

VMware should really just allow thew option of upgrading with an MSI format.  It always works fine.  I have tried to communicate with tech support, but no responses yet.

Other than one of us finding some kind of "trick," we are probably stuck at whatever version we currently have.

Chris

cstocci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Tramp20,

I found the solution (at least for me) as it worked).  Please go to the following site for the latest MS VC Redistributals:

cstocci_0-1634391231062.png

and download and install the following two files:

1. vc_redist.x86.exe

2. vc_redist,x64.exe

Then retry to install the full install version of 16.2.0 and it should go smooth after that.

Chris

tramp20
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you.

After installing these versions I could install the VM update too.

0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert

The first dialog likely means you're running VMWare Workstation in Windows 7 compatibility mode – right-click the shortcut, choose Properties and check the Compatibility tab.

0 Kudos