VMware Communities
gbohn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you disable Control-R (Restart Guest) on Workstation Pro?

HI;

I've noticed that on Workstation Pro 15.5.6 I often accidentally invoke VMWare Workstations 'Restart Guest' functionality when switching between Linux Guests.

My plan is usually to switch between full screen guests and use the Linux 'Control-R' on a command line window to recall a prior command.

But I often forget to click on the new Window first. The result is I get the Workstation pop-up asking if I want to restart the Guest.

Since I very much don't want to normally do that, I was wondering if there was a way to disable (or re-assign) that hot-key so that I lessen the chance of accidentally restarting the guest. (Lucky for me the window still has the check box about showing the window next time, but it still makes me nervous).

I didn't immediately see a choice for anything like that under preferences/hotkeys.

Or, is there a way to to have the new Guest get control automatically when I click on its tab (so I don't have to first click on it after switching Guest Tabs)? Normally I go to the tabs at the top of the full screen to select a different guest.

Thanks;

0 Kudos
2 Replies
loubershad
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue and am keen for a solution.

BTW, I don't get a Workstation pop-up asking if I want to restart the Guest.  It just restarts the Guest.  Is there a setting that I can set to get the confirmation.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Try this:

https://www.vi-toolkit.com/wiki/index.php?title=Vmx_hacks#Disable_all_Power_menu_and_keyboard_shortc...

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos