VMware Communities
OsRicci
Contributor
Contributor

Can' t use the VM for two cocurrent connections

Hi all,

I am using Vmware workstation pro and the host is a Windows OS.

For the pentesting purposes, I created two VMs, one is installed with Kali and the other one is a mailserver run on live cd. Kali has two network adapters: one is attached to NAT and the other one to a VMnet1 (host only) network. As the Mailserver will never get connected to the internet, it's network adapter is attached to the same VMnet1 adapter as Kali. The problem is that I can't connect Kali to both Internet and the Mailserver at the same time. Which is, I can't ping the Mailserver and update Kali at the same time, for example. One of the connections is always disconnected, can't use them concurrently. Is this the way it works or am I doing something wrong? Any help for a workaround would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

The issue you face with the Kali Linux VM has nothing to do with VMware. The terminology for this is multi-homed (i.e. a machine with multiple network interfaces). There would be routing issues when there are two NICs in the same machine (be it physical or virtual; regardless of OS, be it Windows or same Linux variant).

You would resolve this with setting up routing tables.

0 Kudos
OsRicci
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the hand.

0 Kudos