VMware Communities
JohnW3
Contributor
Contributor

Can't update VMware Tools after 12.5.3 update

Had to start the Workstation Pro 12.5.3 update twice since the first attempt failed with an unknown error. I don't know if that is significant since the second attempt succeeded.

After the product update, I went to update VMware Tools on my two VMs. Both of them seemed to start OK, but one then blue-screened about 3 minutes after starting. Upon restart, it went into Windows Startup Repair, and eventually started up OK after reverting to a restore point.

Neither VM will update VMware Tools successfully. One fails with an access violation, but the Control Panel list of applications says the Tools were updated. The other fails with a report that "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed" and the copy of the Tools that was there before the update is now gone.  Both VMs have the same Win 7 Pro installation; one was copied from the other a few months ago.

Suggestions, anyone?

UPDATE: It appears that the one install did work. It is the Tools themselves that won't on that VM. The access violation error occurs every time the VM is started.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We are aware of the issue of "access violation" and are actively fixing it. Currently we are not able to reproduce it locally. Can you let 's know from which tools version are your upgrading? Thank you!

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This issue seems to be related to Unity. Can you share your scenario using Unity? Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Also, it will be very helpful if you can export the registry in your Windows 7 VM and send it to us for analysis.

0 Kudos
rgarciasanchez
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

please find below a few facts.

1. I am not using unity

2. I updated VMware Workstation from 12.5.2 to 12.5.3.

After that the VMware Tools update failed due to access violation.

I then tried to uninstall VMware Tools completely to fresh install them.

That did not work, as I was getting the same issue as above.

In the end I downgraded to VMware Workstation 12.5.2 downloaded VMware tools 10.0.10 and now everything is fine again.

0 Kudos
JohnW3
Contributor
Contributor

More updates:

• You can revert to Tools 10.0.10 with Workstation 12.5.3 or 12.5.4 and things will work fine.
  • The "can't access Windows Installer Service" error only occurs on the Complete install option, and the install fails.
  • The Typical installation succeeds, but the Tools execution fails with the access violation (immediately, before restarting the guest OS). Some of the functionality seems to be there, so it is unclear which part is encountering the exception. I do know that the display resolution adjustments work, and copy-to-the-host-clipboard does not work. Shared Folders is a mixed bag and will work even though it indicates that it won't, but I have seen that behavior before in earlier versions.
0 Kudos
offroad00
Contributor
Contributor

I was having the same issue, where VMWare Tools would not work..  New install of Win 10 on VM and only parts of the Tools would work, never could copy and paste to and from guest.  Installing version 10.00 of VMWare Tools as you suggested worked for me after I disabled the automatic updates of VM Tools.  Thanks for the info you included.  VMWare needs to come up with a fix with this.  I have no issues in any of our other VMs, with VMWare Tools, just the new install with Win 10.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The issue described in this thread was fixed in Workstation 12.5.5. If your Workstation is upgraded to the latest and VMware Tools is updated to the latest, you should not run into this issue.

0 Kudos