VMware Communities
jeabou
Contributor
Contributor

Can't switch between VMs in Workstation 7.1

I have had this issue a few times now since I upgraded from 7.0 to 7.1.

If I have multiple VMs open, the display will get "stuck" on one VM. Meaning that I will try to switch to a different VM and even though it appears to switch (the tab gets highlighted and it also gets highlighted under the Favorites) the display doesn't switch from the VM it is currently on. No matter what I do I cannot get the display to switch to a different VM. As I said, it is like it gets "stuck" on one VM. I can switch to the HOME tab successfully, but once I click on a VM tab it goes back to the one it is "stuck" on. Hopefully this makes sense. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Felix-The-Cat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi jeabou,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you experienced such problem with WS 7.1.

Could you please provide more info regarding your Host (hardware, Host OS) and Guests?

If you can collect log (Help->About-->UI Log path) and attached here it will be great.

Cheers Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
jeabou
Contributor
Contributor

I am running VMWare Workstation 7.1 on Windows 7 64 bit. The hardware I am using is a Dell Precision 490 with dual Xeon processors, 20 GB of RAM, striped RAID-0 SAS drives. The hosts range from Windows XP to Windows Server 2003 both 32 and 64 bit and were created as a Team. This never happened to me when I was using Workstation 7.0.

When I shut down the VM that the display seems "stuck" on and try to go to one of the other VMs, the display is just a black screen.

I attached the log file as you requested.

0 Kudos
jeabou
Contributor
Contributor

Here are other log files

0 Kudos
boty
Contributor
Contributor

I can verify this behavior as its currently driving me mad. I had the problem in 7.0 where you clicked on a tab to change the VM displays to another machine and the screen would resize but the screen on my windows 7 vm would remain. Now it looks like its got worst in that I cant actually click on another VM tab or machine on the machine list.

None of the menu items work and the only way that I can change VMs, is to process kill vmware.exe in task manager, run it again and then pick the VM that I want.

Host q6600 with 8gb on Windows 7 x64

0 Kudos
xlatit
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue, when I use an external display on my notebook (HP Probook 6540b), running Windows 7 professional x64. Under VMware Workstation 7.1 the VM is running in the background, I can select it, though it does not come up. I can suspend the machine, by closing Workstation and then restart Workstation and resume the VM.

I seem to only experience the problem when I connect to an external display.

0 Kudos