VMware Communities
ken_lee
Contributor
Contributor

Can't start Virtual Machines under Linux with Workstation 6.5.0 build-118166

When attempting to start a virtual machine (worked yesterday), I get the following three error boxes with messages:

Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory.

Please make sure that the kernel module `vmmon' is loaded.

Failed to initialize monitor device.

Unable to change virtual machine power state: Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to.

I may have upgraded files on my system yesterday, but with the new version of workstation, I am not sure how to fix this. Before, I would run the vmware-config.pl, but with version 6.5, that file isn't in the /usr/bin directory with all of the other workstation files.

The logs are not modified, so there isn't any information there to help diagnose what is going on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ken

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ken_lee
Contributor
Contributor

$ sudo ./vmware status

Module vmmon not loaded

Module vmnet not loaded

Found the problem, just ran /etc/init.d/vmware restart, checked to verify that these processes have started, and problem solved. Need to check on the runlevels of this process so that it starts up automatically at startup.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

What is your host OS? With so many versions of Linux there may be something specific to your derivative.

Since vmware-config.pl doesn't exist, you may need to run workstation as root once to reconfig it automatically ... since root may be required to access what it needs to.

There is a specific command you can use to force-reconfigure and install all of the modules in Workstation 6.5: ... i think it's:

vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

A brute force method would be to reinstall Workstation if the above doesn't fix it.

Let me know what happens,

EvilOne

1 - Check the documents

2 - Search the forums

3 - Post Question

And remember to award points to those who assist you.

IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

dang, ya fixed it before i finished posting.

Make sure to reboot your host to ensure that it works. I have seen 1 other person have problems with the networking module loading at boot.

His fix was something like this:

>If you look at the VMware init script /etc/init.d/vmware and grep on "chkconfig", you can see that the priority is set to 19 which was not high enough to cause it to load after init of the network. I am running VMware workstation in a GUI and so I only needed run level 5

>hadron2:~ # chkconfig -list vmware

>vmware 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:off 5:on 6:off

>hadron2:~ # chkconfig vmware 5

>hadron2:~ # chkconfig -list vmware

>vmware 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:on 6:off

EvilOne

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

rocketero
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks KenJee for your information.

I was having same message and couldn't figure it out why because it was working before.

anyways you save me a lot of headaches.

appreciated.

0 Kudos