VMware Communities
gararararar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't start VM Workstation 9 (kernel update)

Hi,

I just installed VM WK 9.0 on my debian 6.0 64 bit and when i try to start player or worksation i get this error

What should i do ? i'm stuck...

thanks for your help

458626Sanstitre.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Since I'm installl Kubuntu 13.04 on my wife's machine I have a few minutes to look on Google - you should also.  But I found what you needed - I know for sure WS will install on Squeeze.  The only difference here is that it is talkinig about WS 7 - however I doubt there has been a regression in supported hsots withi WS 9.  Now if you said you followed all these steps which I posted just above and it still doesn't install maybe somebody else can help you.  I have instgalled WS 9 on Debian 7 Wheezy with kernel 3.2.x so I don't feel this is a problem.  You might want to try downloadinig the Debian installer for Wheezy - I'll leave you to finid it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Firstly Downloaded the file from
http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/desktop_downloads/vmware_workstation/7_0 (have to register or should have an account to download, select either 32bit or amd64 bit).

2. After downloading given the executable permission to file as root user.
chmod +x VMware-Workstation-Full-7.1.3-324285.x86_64.bundle

3. Than just installed by giving the command
# ./VMware-Workstation-Full-7.1.3-324285.x86_64.bundle

it prompts for license agreement, product updates, eclipse directory for  virtual debugger, eclipse c,c++ debugger plugins etc. just select yes  or no based on requirement and finally press enter it starts installing.

4. After successfull installation in debian go to Applications->System Tools->VMware Workstation  and open it.

While opening displayed a prompt saying VMware Kernel Module Updater  stating Kernel Header version 2.6.xx-x-amd64 not found or specify the  prompt where kernel header is located to install.

5. Than installed the kernel headers for debian by giving
# apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.xx-x-amd64

after that close the window and restarted it again.

6. Next while starting a prompt appeared stating "Before  you can run  VMware, several modules must be compiled and loaded into running into  the running kernel." just selected install. prompts for root password and continue.

7. Immediately prompted a new window stating "unable to build kernel  module see log /tmp/vmware-root/setup-3037.log (which is the compiler  and necessary building tools haven't installed.)

8. installed the package build-essential by
# apt-get install build-essential

9. than again went back and selected the install option it started running fine.

10.Every thing done, prompted the license agreement and finally Started. Smiley Happy
Note: A registered key is required to start working with it.

Googd luck and adios.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Install  Synaptic (I find thiseasiest) 'sudo aptitude install  synaptic'.  Then  open a terminal window  and type  "uname -r".  Output should  be (from the screenshot) 2.6.32-5-amd64.  Plugin that string into  Synpatic search box - you should  find something like the headers for that kernel.  Install them. If you have done this already and still get that error message when trying to complete the WS installation then this is a different question - and more difficult to answer  (and considerinig that kernel is very old -surprisinig  even for Debian)   This  error almost always occurs in very new kenel versions (like 3.7 and up).

0 Kudos
gararararar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i tried but that dit not resolve anything....thanks anyway

sounds WK 9.0 is not compatible with Debian 6.... weird...:smileycry:

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Since I'm installl Kubuntu 13.04 on my wife's machine I have a few minutes to look on Google - you should also.  But I found what you needed - I know for sure WS will install on Squeeze.  The only difference here is that it is talkinig about WS 7 - however I doubt there has been a regression in supported hsots withi WS 9.  Now if you said you followed all these steps which I posted just above and it still doesn't install maybe somebody else can help you.  I have instgalled WS 9 on Debian 7 Wheezy with kernel 3.2.x so I don't feel this is a problem.  You might want to try downloadinig the Debian installer for Wheezy - I'll leave you to finid it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Firstly Downloaded the file from
http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/desktop_downloads/vmware_workstation/7_0 (have to register or should have an account to download, select either 32bit or amd64 bit).

2. After downloading given the executable permission to file as root user.
chmod +x VMware-Workstation-Full-7.1.3-324285.x86_64.bundle

3. Than just installed by giving the command
# ./VMware-Workstation-Full-7.1.3-324285.x86_64.bundle

it prompts for license agreement, product updates, eclipse directory for  virtual debugger, eclipse c,c++ debugger plugins etc. just select yes  or no based on requirement and finally press enter it starts installing.

4. After successfull installation in debian go to Applications->System Tools->VMware Workstation  and open it.

While opening displayed a prompt saying VMware Kernel Module Updater  stating Kernel Header version 2.6.xx-x-amd64 not found or specify the  prompt where kernel header is located to install.

5. Than installed the kernel headers for debian by giving
# apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.xx-x-amd64

after that close the window and restarted it again.

6. Next while starting a prompt appeared stating "Before  you can run  VMware, several modules must be compiled and loaded into running into  the running kernel." just selected install. prompts for root password and continue.

7. Immediately prompted a new window stating "unable to build kernel  module see log /tmp/vmware-root/setup-3037.log (which is the compiler  and necessary building tools haven't installed.)

8. installed the package build-essential by
# apt-get install build-essential

9. than again went back and selected the install option it started running fine.

10.Every thing done, prompted the license agreement and finally Started. Smiley Happy
Note: A registered key is required to start working with it.

Googd luck and adios.

0 Kudos
gararararar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

you're a genius !!!!

it works !!!!

thanks you so much

0 Kudos