VMware Communities
billydv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't setup a parallel printer, How can I?

I have added a parallel port in the guest (Host Vista Ultimate, Guest Windows XP), seems like it wont show up in windows if I set in the vmware bios Parallel port settings ecp, no printer physically attached will install and print. Is there a good how to?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KYordy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I don't know if there is enough information in your post, but I will give it a try. Is there a physical parallel port on this machine? If not, to what are you connecting the VM parallel port, a file, a USB port...

0 Kudos
billydv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, the board is an Asus a8n32sli-delux, and it indeed has a parallel port that I have set to ecp. The host runs vista ultimate x86. The guest is xp professional. When I set parallel port in guest bios to bidirectional, the parallel port will appear in the guest device manager but printer doesn't work. When I set the parallel port to ecp in guest bios, no parallel port in guest device manager.

My purpose for wanting to run xp in a vm is because my printer is unsupported in vista and I would like to set it up in the vm and through use of redirected porting and ghostscript, make it the default printer for my vista and linux machines. BTW the printer is and xd120f Xerox

0 Kudos
KYordy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In your setup of the VM, did you try auto-detect? I have a similar setup, for the same reason, that is working. Try putting your VM BIOS back to default settings and use auto-detect in your VM settings. If that doesn't work, please post your .VMX.

Regards!

0 Kudos
billydv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Although on default settings the printer and parallel ports are recognized, it still wont print, just locks up the guest when trying to print

0 Kudos