VMware Communities
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't run VMware WS 7.1.3 with patched modules on openSUSE 11.4

I installed WS 7.1.3 on openSUSE 11.4 x64 Final and used patch-modules_v61.sh changing fpatch=vmware-7.1.3-2.6.37-9-generic.patch.  Workstation was added to the Gnome Menu but the GUI would not start - would not start from comand lin (/usr/bin/vmwarfe).  Am I doing something wrong or has lthis distro and release not been vetted by patch developers (NoeL)   Works on Debian 6.0 <wheezy sid) and Ubuntu 10.10 with kernel 2.6.37

openSUSE kernel=2.6.37.1-1.2-desktop

Thanks,

Marty

After trying to run WS the following processes were running

11136 ?        00:00:00 vmware-usbarbit
11212 ?        00:00:00 vmnet-bridge
11220 ?        00:00:00 vmnet-dhcpd
11223 ?        00:00:00 vmnet-netifup
11232 ?        00:00:00 vmnet-dhcpd
11238 ?        00:00:00 vmnet-natd
11244 ?        00:00:00 vmnet-netifup

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
4 Replies
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Works now.  Installaed using kernel 2.6.37.1-1.2-vanilla.

This will be set as the default kernel since VirtualBox works as  well - and with the Oracle Extention Pack.

Maraty

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sstiil waiting for the free uplgrade to WS 7.5

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
chucktr
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Marty,

I don't believe that the "generic" patch will work.  The docs said that you must use:

vmware-7.1.3-2.6.37-rc5.patch

on the openSuSE 11.4 platform.  I can verify that it is true.  I tried the "generic" patch and it failed.  Then I went to the one specified above and it worked fine.  Just a reply for any, and all, who read this.

Chuck

0 Kudos
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just wondering what was teh kernel you used?  If I used the "Vanilla"  2.6.37 kernel and the "generic" patch as you call it works.  Also I'm not sure waht "docs" you are refering to?  On this forum or openSUSE forums.  In any event it is now moot for me as I am using the 2.6.38 KOTD (kernel of the day): and no version of a patched WS works withi 2.6.38 I think.  VirtualBox works fine however.  Since this is a dual boot system with Windows 2008 Server R2 and Hyper-V enabled is for me to remove Hyper-V as a feature in Windows - then install the Windows version of WS 7.1.3 and play with VM's as I wish on Windows (conversions etc).

I

I have WS working fine on kernel 2.6.37 on Debian 6.0 sid <wheezy> and Slackware 13.37 and of course Windows 7.  I am content with waiting to see what VMware, Inc will do for the next release of WS.  It's a wlld guess (since this will certainly be prpreitart - but they may be waiting for some "feature" to

add to the Windows version to entice an upgrade form those folks. I have pruchased  two licenses ($189 upgrade total)  to WS 7.x myself and can work with the Windows version until they get around to it.

These threads are tiresome and I won't be replying to any further threads on this particular subject.

Marty

Marty Felker
0 Kudos