VMware Communities
jdb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't resume VM after upgrading VMware

Yesterday, I upgraded my VMware installation to the latest version of VMware Workstation 16 Pro. I think I checked something to do with "automatically install Windows Hypervisor Platform" during the install. After the installation was complete, I attempted to resume a paused VM which I've had installed on my laptop for at least 5 years and I received the following messages :

message-1.png

---------------------------
Ubuntu 64-bit - VMware Workstation
You are running this virtual machine with side channel mitigations enabled. Side channel mitigations provide enhanced security but also lower performance.

To disable mitigations, change the side channel mitigations setting in the advanced panel of the virtual machine settings. Refer to VMware KB article 79832 at https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/79832 for more details.

[ ] Do not show this hint again
OK

The above message is not an error, but I had never received it before the upgrade.

message-2.png

The features supported by the processors in this machine are different from the features supported by the processors in the machine on which the virtual machine state was saved.

You may attempt to resume this virtual machine, but doing so may result in unpredictable behavior. Do you wish to resume this virtual machine?
Yes No

The above is the error / warning message.

message-3-censored.png

An error occurred while restoring the CPU state from file "D:\Users\[censored]\Documents\Virtual Machines\Ubuntu 64-bit\Ubuntu 64-bit-3bdbb6b7.vmss".

Your virtual machine did not resume because of a correctable error. Preserve the suspended state and correct the error, or discard the suspended state.
Preserve Discard

I chose to not resume the VM and preserve the state.

The final error message is :

message-4.png

VMware Workstation
Failed to start the virtual machine.
OK

I thought that upgrading VMware to version 17 might solve the problem, but it didn't.

I'm running VMware Workstation 17 Pro 17.0.1 build-21139696 on a Dell Alienware 17 R5 laptop with the latest and updated version of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit installed.

Any help in resolving this issue would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

jdb2

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have reported your post to the moderators, asking them to move it to the area for Workstation Pro.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You should always properly shut down your VMs prior to an update.
If a suspended VM doesn't come up anymore after an update - as in this case - you need to reset it (discard the current state).

André

0 Kudos
jdb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have been using VMware for *years* and I have had VMs in numerous different states, such as paused, hibernated, suspended, powered off etc. and I have *never* encountered this error condition. If this is something in which data loss can happen, then why, prior to the upgrade starting, doesn't the VMware installer display a warning dialog? Also, I'm pretty sure that the problem is somehow associated with me clicking the checkbox telling the installer to automatically install the "Windows hypervisor platform." Unfortunately, I disabled said platform and rebooted but the problem persists. According to VMware : "Your virtual machine did not resume because of a correctable error. Preserve the suspended state and correct the error." So, the error is apparently correctable, but, how? Can I downgrade VMware to say, version 15 ( and VMware reports that the VM giving me problems is a version 15.x VM ), and then resume the VM and shut it down? I have important data that I don't want to lose by discarding the latest snapshot.

The error I'm receiving is usually associated when a paused VM is copied or cloned to different hardware. This did not happen in my case : All I did was upgrade VMware -- the hardware is the same so I don't know why I'm receiving this error. What I plan on doing is backing up all the files associated with this VM and then resuming it with my fingers crossed.

Anyways, I payed extra for support when I upgraded to VMware Workstation 17 Pro, so I think I'll create a support ticket.

jdb2

0 Kudos