VMware Communities
Naki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't pause VMs any more

Since changing my BIOS (updated to latest BIOS version) and CPU, I can't pause virtual machines any more.

Before that, I could pause any VM, and a small arrow would appear + screen would get grayed out, and the VM would pause.

Now nothing seems to happen if I try to pause a VM.

Running Host OS Windows 7 64-bit, Ultimate, SP1. Intel Core i7 CPU (was Intel Core i3).

VMware Workstation 8.0.4. Guest OSes - various Windows OSes.

Is this is a known issue? Is there a way to fix this?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Workstation and or uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Tools in an attempt to fix the issue?

0 Kudos
Naki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It seems this is not a VMware Tools issue. i.e. reinstalling it on the Guest OS did not help any.

Also, I tried repairing the VMware Workstaton 8.0.4 from the Windows 7 Programs and Features, which did not help.

Instead of just repair, should I maybe try a full uninstall + reinstall?

EDIT: Let's me ask again - is this a KNOWN issue? I.e. is it just me asking this, or has anyone else had this issue before...?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I tried repairing the VMware Workstaton 8.0.4 from the Windows 7 Programs and Features, which did not help.

Instead of just repair, should I maybe try a full uninstall + reinstall?

I said "uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Workstation" never mentioned try doing a repair install because more often then not repair install with VMware products do not work and why I always say to uninstall/reinstall. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

If a  driver is missing from the  VMware nstallation then  reparing the installation  be a good move before uninstalling/reinstatlling.  This is my              experience at  least. U/I is often  problematic as  we all know.

Nevertheless,   if fhe tried it  and it didn't  work than a complete U/I "might"  not work either  Make .sure its a complete uninstall however.  I myself  use an   uninstaller like revo  rather   Control Panel add/remove which runs the native uninstaller I think.  There are  lot of registry entries left over as  well as directorys.  There now is a VMware program  to   clean up throughtly as well -  forget    name of .exe (sorry)

As very superficial search on Google for your  problem didn't lead to your situtation - of course it doesn't  mean iti isn't there because all the   answers are not  this  forum Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Naki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do not use any special uninstallers, and will continue to do so.

Anyway, an uninstall and reinstall of VMware Workstation 8.0.4 (with restarts of the PC when prompted for it) did not help.

I am at a loss what to do next.

Maybe a driver issue? Or some issue with other running/active programs I have?

Please note that Ctrl+Alt works (ungrab input), Ctrl+Alt+Enter works, and Suspend/Resume Ctrl shortcuts work.

Pause does not work via both mouse (choose from menu) AND keyboard.

Also, this works just fine on my 2nd Windows 7 computer, an Acer laptop.

0 Kudos
Naki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It works fine now!

I am not 100% sure what fixed it, I did two things:

1) Uninstalled International keyboard support and Visual Studio plugin from VMware.

2) Uninstalled PC Tools Antivirus/Antimalware scanner trial version. (My main antivirus is MSSE.)

0 Kudos