VMware Communities
TaaHiro
Contributor
Contributor

Can't log into my virtual PC

So here's the thing. I made this one 2 months ago for an assignment and never needed to revisit it. There is a problem with the assignment now and I need it as evidence that I did it. I can't log in because naturally I never wrote the damn password down anywhere. I tried to change it but got this message.

PrintS1.png

"Okay will do" I told myself. Only...

IMG_20171115_123559.jpg

Can Someone help me?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
voidp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I recommend making a backup copy of your vm before attempting any password recovery actions that may permanently damage the entire configuration.

Here's an article that describes how to reset a Windows 7 password:  How Can I Reset My Windows 7 Password?   Note: I haven't used it myself.

If you just need to retrieve files from the guest OS you can mount the vm's disk and access (copy) them directly: https://www.kjctech.net/mount-a-vmdk-image-file-in-windows/

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This doesn't really have anything to do with running in a VM.  You'd have the same problem with a physical PC.

If you need to reset your Windows password, you can boot from an ntpasswd boot disk. (Note that ntpasswd is a third-party utility that is not affiliated with VMware in any way, and this suggestion does not constitute any official endorsement for that third-party product.)

(By the way, it does sound like you are using VMware Player for commercial use... :smileysilly:)

0 Kudos