VMware Communities
SVO27
Contributor
Contributor

Can't log into gueast Windows 10 VM build by 6.2.0 Converter Standalone

I used 6.2.0 VMWare vCenter Converter Standalone client to virtualize physical Windows 10 machine (in place).

This was completed quickly and without errors.

I copy created directory to hypervisor (MVWare Workstation 15.5 Pro).

I could bring guest up and Windows logon prompt appears.

Problem - with "keyboard" in this guest: cannot type user password. Even simulate Alt-Ctrl-Del via using icon or menu in VMWare Workstation is not working.

Mouse interface works, can change log in options, restart or shutdown guest OS.

There is no such issue with any other guests regardless of their OS type.

They all built from scratch or cloned from previously built guests.

Thanks and regards,

Sergey

0 Kudos
9 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Which specific version of Workstation? (The latest is 15.5.5, the version before that was 15.5.2)

Regardless, you might have to repeat the conversion, unless someone knows of a Windows recovery process that might get you up and running.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

There is no such issue with any other guests regardless of their OS type.

Does this mean that you have another Windows 10 guest (not made using Converter) and that one works?

Also did you try this workaround Re: Caps Lock not working after upgrade to 15.5.5 build-16285975 yesterday  that helped several users having keyboard problems?

0 Kudos
SVO27
Contributor
Contributor

Exact version is 15.5.1 . I did two conversions and each has the same problem.

Unfortunately I do not have another physical Machine with Windows 10 to try.

But, as soon as have a chance - I'll do one more conversion.

0 Kudos
SVO27
Contributor
Contributor

Correct, I have few Windows 10 VMs build as guest OS initially.

Or copied from existing image and continue as separate OS with own networking setup and applications.

0 Kudos
SVO27
Contributor
Contributor

No, fix is not for me, I am on 15.5.1 Workstation Pro.

Also 'soft' Ctrl-Alt-Del is not working, so there is something else.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you boot the VM into the BIOS and access the keyboard in that?

VMware Knowledge Base

If so, you could try booting Windows in Safe Mode to try and look at error logs and keyboard drivers - there are some Safe Mode boot methods here:

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

If that isn't even an option, you're into Windows repair territory - which I believe involves either booting from Windows media or a USB flash drive.

You could always try repeating the P2V, as I mentioned in my previous reply.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Sorry have not read the whole thread in detail, however..

This is almost always because you are migrating a laptop from physical to virtual.

On a laptop it is common that synaptic software is installed for the trackpad.

The synaptic software prevents the virtual keyboard from working.

The solution is to remove the synaptic software from your physical machine before migrating (or if you can access the VM via remote desktop then perhaps also after migrating)

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
SVO27
Contributor
Contributor

I could enter BIOS utility. Keyboard worked in it (cursor, enter keys, etc). However, going back to logon prompt and trying to start safe mode did not work.

I think the same reason: holding Shift key meant nothing for guest OS to restart in save mode. I have few more ideas to check. And update thread later.

0 Kudos
KevinHK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

I am running in similar situation which cannot log in guest Win10 as SVO27 despite I uninstalled the Synaptic driver (but forgot the Lenovo Thinkpad Hotkey)  when converting the physical to VM.

Keyboard worked under UEFI BIOS but failed to enter windows 10 safe mode despite restart many times to enter Windows advanced recovery.

Any hints or tips are greatly appreciated!

Thanks and Regards,

Kevin 

0 Kudos