VMware Communities
ittiandro
Contributor
Contributor

Can't install win 95

Hi

I am unable to install win 95 on VM 9

1st : I assume  I shouldn't have to install VM Tools, since they are integratedin the VM 9 . Am I right?.

2nd: I have opened the workstation and created  a NEW MACHINE for the preliminary installation of the  MS-DOS boot discs ( ISO files)

3rd: I got to the FDISK stage and created a DOS partition.

After this I should reboot and proceed .

Since I can't see a REBOOT command, I used the RESTART GUEST in the menu. When the machine reboots, I get a message: Missing Operating system  and I am unable to continue.

I have been going crazy for a week. I really need Windows 95 because I have acquired an old Italian Literature collection originally created for Windows 3.1 up to Windows 95. I tried installing Windows 95 the regular way on a new 1 TeraByte H.D, after putting the MS-Dos boot disc data on a CD, but it does not go through: it says Bootmgr missing.( the BIOS is set to boot from CD)

So VM ware is my only alternative.Can anybody help?

Thanks

Ittiandro

0 Kudos
10 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

ittiandro wrote:

Hi

I am unable to install win 95 on VM 9

1st : I assume  I shouldn't have to install VM Tools, since they are integratedin the VM 9 . Am I right?.

2nd: I have opened the workstation and created  a NEW MACHINE for the preliminary installation of the  MS-DOS boot discs ( ISO files)

3rd: I got to the FDISK stage and created a DOS partition.

After this I should reboot and proceed .

Since I can't see a REBOOT command, I used the RESTART GUEST in the menu. When the machine reboots, I get a message: Missing Operating system  and I am unable to continue.

Power off the VM and select VM->Power->Power on to BIOS.  Change the device boot order so that the hard disk is last.  Boot from your MS-DOS disk image again and continue with the installation.

0 Kudos
ittiandro
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

Great! By configuring the BIOS as directed I have now been able to go as far formatting with the C: /q/s command and then, after rebooting I got to a screen asking me to type in the date and the time. Now   I have a C: \> ____  line ready to type in. What do I do ?

When I do an  A:\>  DIR,  I do get a number of files showing up under A: , so I suppose everything is O.K up to now. Next?

Thanks

Ittiandro

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I believe you just need to run 'setup' --

If you are installing from floppy images:

A:

setup

If you are installing from a CD-ROM image:

😧

setup

This is assuming that the CD-ROM image has been mounted as 😧

Then just follow the prompts.

0 Kudos
ittiandro
Contributor
Contributor

After entering the date and the time,  at the prompt c:\>   I type in  “ a: setup “  and/or “ a:\setup, but I get a message saying “ not ready reading drive a:”  I have also tried d: setup. Same result.

What do you mean by “ installing from a CD ROM image? All I know is that in the VM machine settings I have given the path to the MS-DOS 6.22 IMG file, not the physical drive, since I do not have an A: physical drive.

Is this O.K.?

At this point, I gather, we are not yet  at the point of running the Win 95 installation  but  only the MS-DOS setup. I do have the Win 95 installation  both as an image file and on CD, but I have neither put it in the CD Rom drive nor configured the VM machine for it. It is not clear to me how to run theWin95  installation proper, after the MS-DOS setup,  but let’s go one step at a time!

I may have  done something wrong  in the previous stages,  however if I have been able to do to the fdisk process and format the c: drive successfully, I wonder if this is the case.

Thank you for your help

Ittiandro

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

ittiandro wrote:

At this point, I gather, we are not yet  at the point of running the Win 95 installation  but  only the MS-DOS setup. I do have the Win 95 installation  both as an image file and on CD, but I have neither put it in the CD Rom drive nor configured the VM machine for it. It is not clear to me how to run theWin95  installation proper, after the MS-DOS setup,  but let’s go one step at a time!

Configure the virtual machine so that its virtual CD-ROM drive uses your Win95 installation image.  Its virtual floppy drive should be configured to use the MS-DOS floppy image.

Assuming that this MS-DOS floppy has CD-ROM drivers, it should detect the virtual CD-ROM drive and mount it as 😧 or X: or something.  Setup.exe is on the Win95 installation CD-ROM image.  You should use whatever drive letter corresponds to the Win95 installation image and execute <letter>:setup.

0 Kudos
ittiandro
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I had already configured both the  virtual CD-ROM  and  Floppy drives to link to the respective image files paths, if this is what you mean by "boot".

Up to now, as  already mentioned, I have been able to do  the FDISK process and format the C: drive. Now, every time  I reboot the virtual machine ( by choosing  "restart guest" in the menu) I am prompted to type in the date and the time, after which I get to c:\> . If I try to switch to A: or do any command involving A:, I get a message " not ready reading drive A:" . Note that the BIOS boot priority order is REMOVABLE DEVICES, CD-ROM Drives , Hard Drive and Network boot, as instructed. Also, I have not created any additional virtual drives , besides the ones listed by default in  the settings window.

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Once you are on the C:\> prompt, check the virtual machine's settings and ensure the floppy is "Connected". If not, ensure the floppy points to your floppy image and connect it and then use CTRL-ALT-INS to reboot the VM.

Instead of this you can also enable the "Connect at power on" check box with the VM powered off.

André

0 Kudos
ittiandro
Contributor
Contributor

Right on! The floppy was disconnected. After reconnecting it and rebooting ( incidentally CTRL+ALT+Ins won't work. Only RESET or restart Guest) now I get to A:\>. What do I do from here?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

As mentioned by jmattson, if your floppy image contains CD-ROM drivers you should now be able to run the Windows 95 setup.

André

0 Kudos
ittiandro
Contributor
Contributor

I am still waiting to know what should I type in when I get from c:\> to A:\>. In the meantime I attach my MS-DOS Iso file with its contents. I am unable to determine if something ( drivers or other) are missing.  If so, then we know where the problrm is.

Thanks

0 Kudos