VMware Communities
ksenter
Contributor
Contributor

Can't install vmware tools for 6.5.4

Host: Ubuntu 9.10 x64

Guests: Win 7 x64, Win Server 2003 x86

After upgrading from 6.5.3 to 6.5.4 it showed that there was a vmware tools update available, but when I told it to update it did nothing. Tried the manual method of VM -> Install VMware Tools but that also did nothing. It didn't even attach the iso. So I manually attached the iso /usr/lib/vmware/isoimages/windows.iso. After mounting the iso that way I was able to install the update for vmware tools just fine for the Windows 7 x64. But when I tried to install for my Windows Server 2003 x86 vm it said Error 1335. The cabinet file 'BootCamp.cab' required for this installation is corrupt. I looked and there's no BootCamp.cab file on the vmware tools cd, nor on my c drive. I tried uninstalling vmware tools and rebooting and reinstalling, that didn't work, tried clearing out all my temp files but no luck. Why is it trying to find a bootcamp.cab file, and why isn't it included, and why did it install on the windows 7 x64 without a problem? How can I get vmware tools installed?

Just an update, I verified that only the 64bit installer works. It works fine on 64bit machines, but all of my 32bit machines get the same error. I managed to get the one that I had uninstalled vmware tools on back working sort of... I found that if I ran setup.exe with /a to do an "administrative" install it would create another installer that was still missing a bunch of files but it would let me ignore the missing files instead of not letting me install at all, and so I just copied files from another machine until I got it working again... Not pretty and I still get a "one or more services failed" message on booting, but atleast it's usable again... I'm still curious if I'm the only one with the problem or if it's a problem with the x64 linux bundle or something.

Nevermind, I figured out how to extract the files out of the .bundle and found that the windows.iso in there worked fine... so I'm guessing the windows.iso got corrupted during installation or something. I checked the file sizes of all the files in both the iso's and they're exactly the same. But apparently there's some difference. Everything works fine now after a repair install with the good iso.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ksenter
Contributor
Contributor

I figured it out.

0 Kudos