VMware Communities
agolde
Contributor
Contributor

Can't install Workstation Pro 12 because of virtual network driver

Hello,

The installation got stuck while installing the virtual network drivers.

My host is Windows 10 64bit.

Very disappointing.

Any ideas ?

Regards,

Alex

9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The latest Windows versions have UAC enabled by default, so you should always start the installation using the "Run as Administrator" option. Another possible reason could be an AV/firewall application (what product are you using?) blocking driver the installation.

As a first step, please retry the installation with "Run as Administrator" to see whether this works. If this doesn't work it might be necessary to clean up from the previous unsuccessful installation.

André

0 Kudos
www23456
Contributor
Contributor

do you have Vmware workstaton installed on this machine before upgrade/install the win10?

Can you uninstall workstation or uninstall the bridge protocol (or other protocols)?

george

0 Kudos
davjones
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having exactly the same issue. I've experienced a nightmare trying to upgrade VMware Workstation from ver 11 to ver 12. The upgrade failed leaving the install in an inconsistent state. I've been trying for over a week to get back up. I first had upgraded to the desktop to Windows 10, then purchased the upgrade to VMware ver 12. I couldn't upgrade or uninstall ver 11. I mostly got stuck on the dreaded tools-freebsd.msi path could not be found error. I finally resorted to a VMware support doc walking through a manual uninstall but the VMware Bridge Protocol uninstall failed. This still left the issue with the tools-freebsd.msi path error upon an install attempt. So then I went through the registry deleting all references to any vmware tools.msi. I got further along in the install but now it hangs upon installing the virtual network driver. I will say that this seems to be a very common issue trying to upgrade to ver 12, or even earlier versions with all the tools errors but the solutions are weak or non-existent for this ongoing problem. This is my personal copy for home and I have been unable to get in touch with VMware Tech Support since their hours are limited to normal business hours. I can't leave work to go home to call during business hours. VMware has a worldwide 24x7 support network but can't commit to getting support to a customer who just purchased their product.I can't go back to version 11 or up to ver 12. I'm basically dead in the water facing a problem that has been around since version 7 and earlier. Its very frustrating.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

André,

Are you sure that is still needed these days?

The installer should have a manifest file (embedded or not) to ask for administrator rights if it is required, that is quite standard and not difficult to do from a developer point of view.

I seem to remember the installer asks for elevation, I certainly do not run the installer with admin rights on windows 8 myself.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Hey Wil,

I'm can't actually tell you for sure whether the installer will automatically prompt for the elevation. However, starting an application this way should rule out possible UAC issues for good.

André

0 Kudos
www23456
Contributor
Contributor

can you try reinstall Windows 10 using ISO image? We saw similar issue (vmnet1 vmnet8 disappeared after upgrade to win10), but trying to do 'Restore Default' bring back the vmnet1/vmnet8. It's hard to say that is vmware issue or Windows 10 upgrade issue.

For your case, let's try that option to see if we can bring vmnet1/8 back,

0 Kudos
digipeng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I fixed that issue in windows 10 by doing a repair install of workstation 10

0 Kudos
www23456
Contributor
Contributor

what is the error message when uninstalling the bridge protocol? it is Error 0x8007007E (module not found)?  Can you try to uninstall other protocol? Since I got same error message if uninstall non-VMware protocol from the 'Local Area connection properties' panel-->uninstall

0 Kudos
helpfuluser
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

@

i got it working today, so i've made this post to help you too.

Scenario: Windows 10 + VMWorkstation pro 12

Issue: While installing the application, the installer wizard stops while "installing virtual network drivers."

Solution:

1. Please have in mind the following:

a. VMWare needs to be removed totally from the system

b. the installed Virtual Network device driver for VMWare needs to be removed as well

2. Disable UAC in Windows (type Start > UAC > set on minimum)

3. Disable your Antivirus/Firewall (Kaspersky/Symantec i.e.)

4. Try to install VMWare as Administrator (Right click > Run as Administrator). When the application hangs at "Installing Virtual Network Drivers" go to:

5. Start > type Virtual Network Editor (this should have been installed by now by the VMWare install wizard)

6. In the Editor click right below on Change Settings

7. Open Task Manager and right click and kill two applications: the VMWare installation wizard and the VMWare Network drivers install tool (i cannot remember the name exactly, but it should be right below the VMWare wizard process)

8. After killing the processes, go to Virtual Editor and delete/remove all the networks that appear in the top list (should be listed as VMNet# etc)

9. Click Apply and wait for them to be removed.

10. Once removed, exit the Editor and go to in Control panel > DEVICE MANAGER

11. In Device manager > Network adapters > look for other devices other than your PHYSICAL Network cards. If you will see something like "VMWare Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMNet 8", right click on it and UNINSTALL.

12. Go to Add/Remove programs and check if VMWare workstation appears in the list. If it does > click on it > change > UNINSTALL. Wait for the uninstall to finish

13. Reboot the computer

14. Start > type Virtual Network Editor (no results should appear, this indicates that VMWare was uninstalled correctly. Check also the Add/Remove programs to be sure)

15. Go again to Device manager > Network adapters and see if the VMWare Virtual adapter is still there. If it is, remove it again, then click on Action > Scan for hardware changes to be sure it does not appear again. If it reappeared, after removal, you'll have to reboot again.

Final steps:

16. Once VMWare and the Adapter were uninstalled, now run the VMWare install wizard again, as Admin

17. When it stops again at the "installing virtual network drives", in the task bar you should see an app highlighted, but if you click on it, no window will appear on the screen. This is the VMWare virtual adapter installer window, which is hidden. While stuck on installation, simply right click on that window in the taskbar and click CLOSE. Wait a few moments, the installer should now jump to the following steps, finishing the installation.

18. At the end, in the Dev Manager the new adapter should appear, and all the entries in the Editor should have been recreated.

Now it works.

Notes:

Don't try to repair the VMWare. If it keeps getting stuck, uninstall it several times, and delete the VM adapters several times, to get it working. For me it worked from the first time.

Hope it helps. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos