VMware Communities
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Can't install VMware Workstation 8 on Sabayon Linux 6

I have an extremely strange problem when trying to install WS 8.0 on Sabayon Linux 6 kernell 2.6.39.  The tarball  /var/log/vmware-installe is attached.  You will see multiple attempts so there is much repetitiion  but I didn't know what to delete.  A brief summary.

1) Created files /etc/init.d/rc0.d to /etc/inisit.rc6.d as is required to "fool" the insatller when looking for init files (needed  to do this with Slackware  as well)  Also installed the proper header files for the running kernel using Entropy.

2) The installation goes finie unitl VMware Tools installation  stage.  As that point the installer says that its about to remove  onfiguration files (/yes/no - yes default).  Whether I answer yes or no the installer begins a rollback and fails.  Not undersdtanding   the compile steps involved in a Linux install I am clueless about how to complete the install on Sabayon.

3) Log file seems to show modules compile but services can't start.

BTW whern  I try to do vmware-installer - u vmware-workstation the file is blinking red and can't be found.  A maunal uninstall via kb 38 is required except I even need to reboot as I can't kill the vsock process.

Can anybody help me out here??

Marty

0 Kudos
0 Replies