VMware Communities
Uxorious
Contributor
Contributor

Can't install Ubuntu 8.10 (final) on VMWare Workstation 6.5

I am running VMWare 6.5 Workstation in Vista 64, and I can't get Ubuntu 8.10 to install.

If I create a new VM instance, and mount the 8.10 ISO, it will boot to the menu on the CD (where you pick how you want to install Ubuntu).

I can navigate the menus, but as soon as I select one, the VM will freeze up and refuse to go any further.

After being impatient for a while, I start pushing keys, and soon the PC starts beeping since the keybuffer filled up.

Anybody else seeing this?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MM1273
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue, Vista 64 Bit and Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit.

I also have been unable to find a fix as of yet.

0 Kudos
Rudxai
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar problem. I'm running Windows XP SP3. I get to the point where Ubuntu 8.10 installation is finished and asks me to Reboot. Right after i click the button BAM it freezes! Can't release mouse or anything and I'm forced to Reset my Computer.

wtf is going on!?

0 Kudos
mikelane
Expert
Expert

I am currently installing ubuntu-8.10-i386.iso without any issues on Workstation 6.5

I selected a custom install and then selected the iso and then just went through the rest as per the defaults.

Before booting the VM i disconected the virtual floppy drive so that Workstation would not try to do an easy / scripted install.

As you can see it is intstalling fine ...

0 Kudos
mikelane
Expert
Expert

The install finished so I have posted another screen shot showing when I disconnected the virtual floppy and CD ROM.

0 Kudos
Rudxai
Contributor
Contributor

I installed an older version of ubuntu and works fine, never had such a problem.

hmm..the floppy..I'll try it too and write back Smiley Happy

Thanks.

0 Kudos
rabih_00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am facing the same issue, only with ESX 3.5 u3 and u4. completely puzzled by that as it does not give any errors or messages at all. if I use amd64, it actually powers off the VM rather than freeze on me. i386 freezes on me as mentioned above.

any solution yet?

0 Kudos
Rudxai
Contributor
Contributor

I tried again and again, still nothing. It finished the setup process and right after i click the restart button it Freezes.

I killed the vm-ware process and tried running the virtual drive again, this time it reaches the login screen but after i enter my login credentials it doesn't do anything and freezes again Completely.

ps: I have no such problems with other distributions..

0 Kudos