VMware Communities
fskrufskru
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't install MacOS from Bootable USB 3.0

First I did this: https://pureinfotech.com/create-macos-bootable-usb-windows/
This let me to make MacOS as bootable USB while using Windows 10.

Next I did this: How to Boot from a USB Drive in VMware - Make Tech Easier
This basically let me to choose small file called plpbt-5.0.15 as Installer disc image file (iso). And so instead of operating system I choose this.
By doing so, after I turn on VMWare, I get to see boot menu from which I can boot from USB.

Here comes my problem:

My laptop has only USB Ports 3.0 and my USB itself is 3.0.

In settings "USB Controller" if I choose USB compatibility USB 3.0, then I get information saying "Using USB devices with a USB 3.0 controller requires Linux kernel 3.2 or newer.
If I run in such settings, after choosing to boot from usb I get error "NO BOOT DEVICE FOUND, PLEASE RETRY IT"

Now if I choose USB compatibility USB 2.0 and turn on boot menu, in moment of inserting my USB into port I get message saying "The device Kingston Data Traveler 3.0 was unable to connect to its ideal host controller. An attempt will be made to connect this device to the best available host controller. This might result in undefined behavior for this device.

Then if I click to boot from USB everything freeze, there is no error or anything. On 3.0 it tried to load, couple lines showed and eventually said that it can't find booting usb, but here it just shows starting message of Loading and then "Port 1: Device Connected" and just freeze.

What do you think I could do in this situation? So far I know only two options:

1. Buy USB adapter 2.0 and put it into usb 3.0, and then put my Kingston 3.0 into this adapter, but I don't know if it changes anything

2. Buy USB memory 2.0 and stick it straight into usb 3.0
3. ???

ps. I know I can install it in different way, but that's not my point, it has to be this way. Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We used the Plop bootmanager ten years ago - at a time when Workstation could not boot from USB.

That workaround is no longer necessary. If you select EFI-firmware you should be able to select a valid USB device without hacks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

MacOS can only be installed legally on Apple official hardware (meaning on VMware Fusion). If you're trying to do this to create a VM on Windows (running Workstation), then you would be in violation of Apple's and VMware's EULAs and, as such, we cannot help you here.

0 Kudos
fskrufskru
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I understand.

Well the only reason why I want to do this, is to know whether my bootable usb will work on someone elses mac computer. So I am trying to install mac from this usb and by doing so, I can know if I made booting correctly or not.

Any ideas how can I do such thing legally?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you truly want to know if your USB drive will be bootable, the best place to try it is when you'll actually install it–on a Mac. So I'd forget about trying it out in Workstation because of the aforementioned reasons and other technical reasons.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We used the Plop bootmanager ten years ago - at a time when Workstation could not boot from USB.

That workaround is no longer necessary. If you select EFI-firmware you should be able to select a valid USB device without hacks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
fskrufskru
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can't do it, any idea why? Option is locked.

https://i.gyazo.com/aadbf5f72c5af076b816a4ee5c57af21.png

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is your VM suspended ?

0 Kudos
fskrufskru
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay I did it, topic can be closed. Thanks!

0 Kudos