VMware Communities
bp5485
Contributor
Contributor

Can't install Fedora 16 on WS 8.0.1.

I get an "you have not created a bootloader stage1 target device" error while trying to create a Fedora 16 guest VM on a Windows 7 (64 bit) Host Workstation 8.0.1 (64 bit). I am trying to boot the system using a the DVD image. The Fedora installation launches and brings up the first Fedora window dealing with devices. A pop up appears saying that it is examining devices. Then the error message appears. There was no opportunity to input any configuration information. The 32 and 64 bit Fedora versions have the same behavior.

When creating the VM, WS recognizes that it is Fedora and locks into an "easy install". I powered off the machine and powered on to bios, but did not see any means of creating a bios partition.

The behavior appears to relate to the use of a GUID Partition Table (GPT) bios and is apparently new to Fedora with Version 16. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Accrding to the HCL, the latest supported version is Fedora 12.

Anyway, did you try to install without using "Easy Install".

André

0 Kudos
bp5485
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for responding. How do I avoid easy install? And once I avoid it, what should I do?

Fedora 12 was lauched 5/10 and is no longer supported by the Fedora Community.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

When you create the VM, select "I will install the OS later". This way you will be able to run the installation from the ISO as you would do it on physical hardware.

André

0 Kudos
bp5485
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for responding. I selected "I will start later." I configured the system for Linux and Fedora 64-bit. When the system started, it tried to use DHCP to find a boot file. (The Guest networking is NAT.) The DHCP spinner went for a few seconds and then gave up. When it gave up on the DHCP, it printed the message " No boot file name received." Screenshot attached.

I get the impression that the bios needs to be modified to include the boot partition, or the F16 installation process needs to be changed to avoid requiring the partition.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you attach the Fedora ISO image to the virtual CD-ROM drive and select "Connect at Power On"?

André

0 Kudos
bp5485
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry. Thought I had but discovered I hadn't. Was able to create the Guest. Thanks.

Next challenge will be to install VMWare Tools.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Glad to hear it worked.

Good luck with the tools. If you are successful, please consider to post how it worked. This might help other users.

André

0 Kudos
bigbangnet1
Contributor
Contributor

Just follow the instructions above to at least get to the "desktop" portion of the lie cd. This means in other words, creating a VM for fedora 16. mounting the iso on that vm and booting for it. To my knowledge it should boot automatically up to the desktop (in my experience, it had problems loading the gnome 3 desktop and displayed an error message about it).

Once you've done that, click on the application menu, go to system tools and select " Install to Hard Drive". Just follow the instructions and when your done, just unmount and reboot. Voila, you got Fedora 16 on a VM

0 Kudos