VMware Communities
bradnelson
Contributor
Contributor

Can't get vmachine to see outside in bridge mode.

I have VMworkstation installed on a my laptop and i have it plugged up to a ethernet cable (no wifi). I have it in bridge mode (using Ubuntu, server 2003 or server 2008). It will not see the outside world. Pings will not go through. Have tried it in NAT, still no connection. Also checked the service in the local area connection on host machine. Everything looks fine. I have taken it out of Automatic mode and manually bridged it as well. Does anyone else have anything i can try?

Thanks

Brad Nelson

0 Kudos
6 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

I'll start with the obvious: does the guest OS in the virtual machine have a valid IP address? If Windows, an IP of 169.254.x.x means that it did not receive an IP from the DHCP server. Also, changing from bridged to NAT, Windows (and most OS') do not automatically try to renew the iP address. So you'd need to manually renew the IP address, or restart the guest virtual machine.

If you've manually set the guest's IP address, are you certain you typed them correctly? (I've lost count of the times I've set the IP addr to 1 8 2 .168 or 192.1 6 7. Smiley Wink )

0 Kudos
bradnelson
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I did check and it is a valid IP address/Gateway/Mask & DNS. I tried the NAT renew address as well. I agree, I have typed it in wrong many times as well..

Anything else I can try?

Thanks for the reply.

Brad Nelson

0 Kudos
ajanjo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Brad,

Can you verify that you have bridged to only the wired nic card and not the wifi card?

Output of ifconfig from the Host and ipconfig /all from the Guest, posted here should help.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Change the bridged connection (VMnet0) from "automatically choosen" to the phyiscal adapter. You can do this in the Virtual Network Editor.

Check if the "Bridge" protocol is enabled in the LAN properties representing your physical connection on the host.

Disable all firewalls for testing purposes.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks!!

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
bradnelson
Contributor
Contributor

AWo,

That all has been done. It is pulling an ip address and everything just can't get out.

Thanks,

Brad

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

O.K., some work:

Can the host ping the guest and vice versa? Can you ping other hosts on the network (if some exist)?

Do an "ipconfig /all" or a "ifconfig -a" in one of your guests which don't work and on the host. Post the result.

Post the content of the vmx file of this guest.

As NAT and bridged don't work I think there's no restriction set on your router to the internet (MAC address restriction, for example), isnt't it?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks!!

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos