VMware Communities
senglory
Contributor
Contributor

Can't get access to VMDK-based NTFS drive mapped on my host.

I have a VMDK file on my host machine and I need to get access to its files. For doing that I mapped this file as a drive on this machine, but every time I try to enter "DOcuments" folder on that drive I get "Access denied" message. I'm a local admin on that host machine. How can I get access (even in read-only mode) to these files?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Which guest OS do you have on the .vmdk file? In case of e.g. Windows 7 you may access "Users" instead of "Documents and Settings".

André

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Make a backup copy of the .vmdk before doing anything.  (All .vmdk files that comprise the virtual hard disk!)

Assuming there is no damage to the MFT and it is only a permissions issue then in a Windows environment sometimes the only way in is to take Ownership of the Parent Level Folder and propagate ownership to all files and folders within.

Also a trick I used with Windows Physical Machines was to boot with a Linux Live OS CD/DVD and could usually just bypass any NTFS Security and Permissions.  I used Knoppix, extensively through 5.1.1, as root however have used other Linux Live OS Distros to do the same.  So you could try creating a Linux VM just using a Linux Live OS ISO Image to boot from while the virtual disk is assigned to that VM.

0 Kudos
senglory
Contributor
Contributor

Windows XP

0 Kudos
senglory
Contributor
Contributor

Do you want to say creation of Linux VM via booting from Linux ISO?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

senglory wrote: Do you want to say creation of Linux VM via booting from Linux ISO?

If you're referring to what I said, "So you could try creating a Linux VM just using a Linux Live OS ISO Image to boot from while the virtual disk is assigned to that VM." it means create a Linux VM without installing the OS and run the VM using a Linux Live OS ISO Image with the hard drive for that the VM pointing to the target .vmdk file.  What do you not understand?

0 Kudos
senglory
Contributor
Contributor

What I don't quite understand is what to do as the next step after booting from Linux ISO? What app should I run when it gets to Linux shell?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Use a Linux Live OS ISO Image that has a Desktop Environment and then just access the HDD via a File Manager.  If you want a small Linux Live OS ISO Image that works well in cases such as this then one suggestion is to use Slax.

0 Kudos
MarAndreas
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have run into that problem myself.

I just attached the .vmdk to another Windows XP VM instead.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Andreas Marx wrote: I have run into that problem myself. I just attached the .vmdk to another Windows XP VM instead.

He may not have another Windows XP VM to do that with however he obviously has a Windows 8 Host so if he mounts it RW he should be able to take ownership of the target folder and all objects included to gain access...  however not sure if he's tried that yet.  In lieu of that using a Linux Live OS ISO Image he should be able to quickly bypass the any NTFS Security and Permissions via a root file manager.

0 Kudos
senglory
Contributor
Contributor

Here's the commend I issued against the mapped VMDK drive:

Z:\>takeown /F * /R
ERROR: The parameter is incorrect.

My host is Windows 8. Taking ownership seems not to be working here.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With Windows 8 as the host, try to disable UAC to see whether this makes a difference.

André

0 Kudos
senglory
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, nothing changed; the same "The parameter is incorrect"

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Sorry for not being clear in what I mentioned. After disabling UAC (and rebooting), try to access the mapped .vmdk's file system directly using the Explorer.

André

0 Kudos