VMware Communities
ShaoChan
Contributor
Contributor

Can't get VMWare Workstation 6.5 to work with VPN followed by RDP

Hi all,

I am trying to setup a computer to connect to multiple customer sites which use different incompatible VPNs.

I have installed Windows XP SP3 to the main machine and then created a VMWAre Workstation Windows XP SP3. They are identical.

I install the Cisco VPN to both the main machine and the virtual machine.

Now, if I enable the VPN on the main machine, I can RDP to the customer site. However, doing so from the virtual machine, I cannot. The VPN will enable and connect but when RDPing it cannot find the remote computer.

I have tried testing with my broadband at home connected (via a router) and also with an O2 mobile broadband dongle (modem) incase it was a network thing.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Did you install the VMware tools after installing the Cisco VPN client? If so, the "new" ethernet card that the VMware tools enable may need to have its MTU set.

Try running the Cisco Set MTU utility and verify that each of your network adapters has its MTU set to 1300. (the Cisco VPN client installer does this automatically, but if you install a network adapter after the fact, then you'll need to run the Set MTU utility again)

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Also, try configuring your Guest for bridged networking instead of NAT networking to see if it makes a difference.

0 Kudos
ShaoChan
Contributor
Contributor

The Citrix VPN adapter is installed last.

My network is already setup, then I launch a clean Windows VMWare session.

Then I install Citrix.

If I use Bridged, this won't work with an O2 broadband dongle as I won't be able to get a second IP.

However, it doesn't work even on my normal network.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If I use Bridged, this won't work with an O2 broadband dongle as I won't be able to get a second IP.

However, it doesn't work even on my normal network.

Well, can you try switching your Guest to bridged networking temporarily to see if it works?

Also, only try connecting with the VPN client on one system at a time while testing.

0 Kudos