VMware Communities
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't drag & drop - VMware Workstation 8 (VMware Tools Installed)

Guys, I've been ignoring this for quite awhile but now it's very bothering. I am using the latest version of VMware Workstation 8, and I've recently copied all of my VMs off my external HD from a backup I did awhile back. The VMs load and everything appears fine; however, when I go to drag & drop between the host and the guest, I get the circle with the line drawn across the middle.

I've reinstalled VMware Tools and selected the "repair" option, but to no success. Also, I've double checked the VMware Settings for Guest Isolation, and it appears that "Enable drag and drop" is enabled, as well as the the other 2 checkboxes that's on that screen.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. This has become very frustrating lately.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Landy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What's your host/guest? If Linux, what desktop manager are you using?

0 Kudos
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Host - Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)

Guest - Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)

0 Kudos
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any suggestions, anyone?

0 Kudos
Landy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does this issue happen to all file type(exe, doc, ppt, etc...) and file size (very small file or very large file)?

also, what's the tools build number? and vmtoolsd process is running in the geust OS?

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Try to remove the Vmware Tools using add/remove software in the Control Panel.  Then  try to install again from the VM tab.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks, it works!

0 Kudos
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This still hasn't fixed my problem. I've uninstalled through Programs & Features, rebooted, reinstalled using the VM > Install VMware Tools, and rebooted... I boot back up, sure the mouse goes seamlessly between VM to host, but I still can't drag and drop.

As for the other poster, this happens for any files. I can't drag anything, not a 1 kb text file, a folder, or even a small executable.

I still need suggestions... Not sure what else to try here. I hate this issue >_<

0 Kudos
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

bump, still can't drag and drop. not sure who that other person was, but this did not solve my issue... Just installed another OS (Server 08 Enterprise) and still no drag and drop. VMware Tools were installed automatically.

0 Kudos
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looks like I can drag FROM the VM to the Host, but I can't drag TO the VM FROM the Host now.

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Since this has happpened with at least 2 very different Windows guests it " possibly" related to a hardwared problem. I don't think you have postged taht - if you did I can't find it - this thread is pretty long. Also attach your .vmx file for both guests.

0 Kudos
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Both files have been attached.

Thanks. I'm still battling trying to figure this out, and no success yet >_<

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

In Windows I don't have a program equilavent to Linux diff so it's pretty hard for me what any differences  might  be.  I can't see any video resolution line - can't say whether that is supposed to be there.   The only mention of Vmware Tools concerns the  update process.  Check and see if any components needed ujpdating - I'm not sure where this is - probably general preferences. Other people much more knowledgable may be able to find somethiong.  it does seem starnge  that cut and paste only works in one direction.  Sometimes there is a second or or two delay do you wait a bit after the drag and frop operation?  Nothing else comes tto mind at this moment.

0 Kudos
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Martin Felker wrote:

In Windows I don't have a program equilavent to Linux diff so it's pretty hard for me what any differences  might  be.  I can't see any video resolution line - can't say whether that is supposed to be there.   The only mention of Vmware Tools concerns the  update process.  Check and see if any components needed ujpdating - I'm not sure where this is - probably general preferences. Other people much more knowledgable may be able to find somethiong.  it does seem starnge  that cut and paste only works in one direction.  Sometimes there is a second or or two delay do you wait a bit after the drag and frop operation?  Nothing else comes tto mind at this moment.

I've made sure the VMware Tools were up-to-date too. That was one of my thoughts at first. I thought it even may have just been a VM specific thing, but considering it's doing that even for a new VM, I'm becoming more concerned. I thought at one time I had this working awhile back -- can't remember. As far as giving it enough time to switch from the crossed circle to the plus, yeah I've tried holding my mouse over for more than enough time too, and still nothing.

Kind of odd how I can't find any other similar issues laying around the thread anywhere. Or for the people who did have the problem, they just simply didn't have VMware Tools installed >_<.

Thanks for your help though man. I'm hoping someone can contribute to helping me get this resolved.

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Yes. It's always very hard when a problem can't be duplicate by others. I lost the thread a bit. Did you Post the host hardware spec?

Good luck!

0 Kudos
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm using a Dell XPS 14z. Specs attached.

0 Kudos
foxman09
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having same problem. I can't drag and drop into Kubuntu (guest) but I can drag and drop into host Windows 7 64 Bit.  This is the error that shows "The file or folder /proc/fs/vmblock/mountPoint/198f624d/_DSC5020.jpg does not exist."  Very annoying, especially considering I can't get shar folder option to work either so I have to dropbox anything I want to share.

0 Kudos
treereaver
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone come up with an answer for this?  I had a system drive crash this week and have finally recovered most of my setup but I now have this same problem.  I did not have the fault before the crash the only hardware change is moving from 500gig hdd to 3tera hdd.  Cut and paste works, I just tend to use drag and drop and get annoyed that it doesn't work now!  I am using windows 8,  on a Lenovo "think centre 49??", 8 gig Ram.  It used to work but the crash required a new copy of VMware.  Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos