VMware Communities
kokojaja
Contributor
Contributor

Can't download Windows 98 on VMWare Workstation 16 Pro

Hello everybody,

I have been having a problem lately on my new PC that I have built last January, and for VMWare Workstation 16 Pro, I just couldn't get any chance to successfully install Windows 98, because this error has been emerging.

windows 98 error 2.pngwindows 98 error.png

I just don't know what is happening, and I have never seen this error in my life, as with several previous computers (HP pavilion P6 with AMD A4 from 2012, iMac 21" 2013, Dell Optiplex 755 (2 computers), MacBook Pro 2016 13", MacBook Pro 2019 15", Acer Aspire E15 with 8th gen Intel Core i5, and Lenovo M83 Intel Core i5 4th gen), none of them appear to have this problem. Now since my main computer is a MacBook Pro 16" M1 because my 2019 MacBook Pro had a faulty logic board and ended up dying in 2021 and because two of my main phones are the iPhone 13 Pro Max and Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, I couldn't be able to test to see if this download works since M1 does not support virtualisation with Windows, so that is why I had to download all virtual machines on this PC since this PC also has more storage too, with a custom built 1 TB M2 memory rather than 512 GB given from my MacBook Pro.

Now, after seeing that Windows 98 does not work on this VMWare (Windows 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, 95, NT 4, 2000, ME, XP and all future versions install so well), I was kind of curious if any of these errors would show up.

So, I headed up to my Acer Aspire E15 with an 8th gen Intel Core i5 processor and VMWare Workstation 14, and surprisingly, it worked. I was so surprised how Windows 98 could install on my 8th gen i5 with a cheap Acer Aspire E15 with 8GB of RAM on Windows 11, but not this computer with an 11th gen i5, VMWare 16, and Windows 11, despite it is only a few versions of VMWare newer and a few generations newer for the processor.

As for setting VMWare 6.5 compatibility, I don't think it would work, since for VMWare 14 on my other laptop, it works perfectly, but how come the installation failed on this computer? I will show you guys the specs for this machine.

I don't even know what to do now. Could you guys try to help me because it worked totally normal on my Windows 11 and Intel Core i5 8th gen with VMWare 14 machine. Also, the motherboard is made of ASUS, the computer has 16GB of RAM, has PowerSpec power supply, Core i5 11600k, Lancool 205 case, Samsung m2 1TB SSD, GTX 1660,Screenshot 2022-03-17 021022.pngScreenshot 2022-03-17 021048.png and that's all I could name.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

You skipped some important pieces of info:
why dont you just copy the working win98 VM from your WS 14 installation ?
do you use WS 16.2 or last known good 16.1 ?

0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert

Windows 9x (and likely ME as well) has quite a bit of trouble on fast CPUs. Unfortunately, since VMWare runs guest OSes at near native speed, this is causing problems with these systems. There are some unofficial patches available that may fix some of these problems, but I'm not sure how reliable they are.

If you need to run Win9x, using an emulator (such as 86box or Qemu) is probably better.

0 Kudos
kokojaja
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 95 does work very well on these.

0 Kudos