VMware Communities
jedilace
Contributor
Contributor

Can't connect to Ubuntu VM from Windows 11 Enterprise

This is a bit of a strange one so bear with me.

OS: Windows 11 Enterprise, 64-bit (Build 22000.675) 10.0.22000
VMWare: 16.2.3 build-19376536
Guest OS: Ubuntu 22..04
Network: Bridged connection

Ubuntu installs well in VMWare, I'm able to update and install packages from the VM. I can even SSH into the VM from Window's WSL ubuntu terminal. When I use an external computer I can access the webapp, and even ssh in. 

Now this is where it get's weird. I'm unable to SSH into the VM , nor can I access any services that I run on the VM when I try to access from the Windows 11 machine hosting the VM. Connection times out on the webapp and SSH port.

I have a feeling there is some type of internal firewall. But I'm not familiar with windows 11 at all. I have exactly the same setup on Windows 10 and it works great (WSL, Ubuntu VM, etc)

0 Kudos
1 Reply
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Workstation itself does not use an internal firewall - but your local router , the Windows 11 and the Ubuntu-guest itself may control traffic going through the bridged interface.
Do not use "automatic bridging" when you configure the physical device used for vmnet0 - instead specify the device you want to use - this is also recommended even if there is only one physical device available !

Ulli

0 Kudos