VMware Communities
Altersoundwork
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't click the "Finish" button in the "Welcome to VMware Workstation" window on Ubuntu 18.04

To clarify, this is an absolutely fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04 (have also tried Xubuntu 18.04 and Ubuntu 18.04 server with a Mate Desktop, the issue is the same across the board).

So, for some time we've been running 16.04 server (with a mate desktop) and workstation 14.x working fine. We've now decided to upgrade to 18.04 and workstation 15.x but as the tile says, after successful installation of workstation 15.5.1 (have tried a couple of older versions, same issues, can't go to old due to kernel support though), I go through all of the "Welcome to VMware Workstation" screens and arrive at the end. Regardless of specifying a license key or choosing "I want to try VMware Workstation 15 for 30 days), clicking the Finish button does nothing. It's not greyed out, it just does nothing and so I can't complete the process and can't launch Workstation.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Altersoundwork
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solved (leaving it here for future searches).

I had a suspicion so, I installed it on a test Linux Mint machine and when clicking the finish button, it brings an elevated privileges prompt for password. So, back on the server, instead of launching vmware workstation from the desktop, I ran it with "sudo vmware" from the command line which of course, prompts me for a password meaning that the Finish button later on no longer has need and low and behold that worked.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Altersoundwork
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solved (leaving it here for future searches).

I had a suspicion so, I installed it on a test Linux Mint machine and when clicking the finish button, it brings an elevated privileges prompt for password. So, back on the server, instead of launching vmware workstation from the desktop, I ran it with "sudo vmware" from the command line which of course, prompts me for a password meaning that the Finish button later on no longer has need and low and behold that worked.
Turrican3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same thing apparently happens with VMWare Workstation 16.2.3, I can only complete the installation in a slightly different way than the one suggested here i.e. with "sudo vmplayer"

This seems to be also required for each successive application launch, as trying to run Workstation with a regular user brings you back to the stuck requester. I guess this information is stored on a per-user basis then?

0 Kudos