VMware Communities
Contributor
Contributor

Can't attach any removable USB to Windows 11 Enterprise - TPM - Encrypted

Running the latest update of VMWARE Workstation 16.2.1 and have a VM configured with Windows 11 Enterprise. I have the image encrypted and virtual TPM enabled. I have USB mode set to 3.1 and have also tried 2.0. All removable USB devices are showing greyed out and can not be attached to the guest. I found this article where someone else was having a similar issue however this particular setting is not accessible in the VMX file once the guest has been encrypted. I tried toggling this manually in the VMX file prior to encrypting the guest, but same issue.

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Player/All-USB-devices-are-greyed-out/m-p/28781...

Verified the USB Arbitrator is working (didn't have this issue previously on this host, but VMware Workstation was already previously updated so not sure when this got introduced).  Have re-built the VM several times now, same issue.  Latest VMware tools are installed.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Milquetoast1
Contributor
Contributor

I am also having this issue.  USB works fine in a Windows 10 Professional VM, but I cannot connect any removable USB devices to a Windows 11 Professional VM.

0 Kudos
ihor_drachuk
Contributor
Contributor

Don't forget to make a backup before starting!

If you can decrypt vmx file, then delete from it this line and the problem should go

usb.restrictions.defaultAllow = "FALSE"

Moreover, you can fix even snapshots, just replace this line by

#sb.restrictions.defaultAllow = "FALSE"

(replace first letter of the line by '#')

But be attentive, there is other binary data. Don't damage it. Keep file size the same.

0 Kudos