VMware Communities
GusJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't access [\\vmware-host\shared folders], no z: drive on W10 guests on W10 hosts running Workstation 12 Pro

The title says it all: I have tree Windows 10 Pro guests on a Windows 10 Pro host running VMware Workstation 12 Pro, and I cannot access the folders shared from the host within VM settings (\\vmware-host\shared folders), neither the mapped Z: drive.

Folders shared on the host using normal Windows sharing mechanism are perfectly accessible from the guests. Folders shared on the guests using normal Windows sharing mechanism are perfectly accessible from the host. Only those shared in VM settings are unavailable,

I've tried to remove and then re-add the folders, to temporarily turn off and back sharing, as well as re-installing VMware tools, with no luck. The feature worked fine until my guests run Windows 7 and 8.1.

I know there are questions like this all over the forum, yet I did not find any working solution for Workstation Pro (and Windows 10).

Anyone any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There was another thread a few days ago on the same topic, where it was fixed by completely uninstalling VMware Tools, rebooting the guest OS, and reinstalling Tools (Important: Not just doing a "repair" installation).  Have you tried the complete uninstall-reboot-reinstall of Tools?

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
austin_wheels
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the exact same issue and have tried everything I can think of as well.

Sorry to be redundant, but wanted to point out that GusJ isn't a lone ranger on this issue.

Anybody else?

twoj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem - seems to have started after the upgrade to Windows 10 November update - build 10586

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There was another thread a few days ago on the same topic, where it was fixed by completely uninstalling VMware Tools, rebooting the guest OS, and reinstalling Tools (Important: Not just doing a "repair" installation).  Have you tried the complete uninstall-reboot-reinstall of Tools?

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
austin_wheels
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes Sir!! That did it! Thank you so much dariusd! It has been a slow day working around this issue. Complete uninstall/install did it for me. Thanks again! --Mike

0 Kudos
GusJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot! Works perfectly for me, too.

0 Kudos
LarryLippke
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

And here today, about a year later after a Fusion upgrade to 8.5.2, the same solution continued to work.

0 Kudos