VMware Communities
pnewell
Contributor
Contributor

Can't Open sv2i Files

Good day all,

So I'm new to VMware (been using the MS products for a while though) and I have an issue here with opening Backup Exec System Recovery 7 files in VMware Workstation 6.0.2. My understanding is that I should be able to simply click "File>Open" and select a file with sv2i extension, but when I try it I get errors (depending on the system); either a "VMware Import Wizard" error that states Unable to determine Guest Operating System or Source format was not understood, or a "VMware Workstation" error that states Failed to query source for information.

My network admin downloaded & installed the VMware Converter, which allowed him to convert two of our three sv2i files into hard disks, but what we really want to get here is the ability to 'Open' them; quick & dirty conversion, but it's not working.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions here? The BESR version we are running is 7.0.1.

Thanks!

-Paul

0 Kudos
7 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Symantec changed the file format in BESR7/Ghost12. You need to update your V2IDISKLIB.DLL. See Symantec KB293194. Unfortunately, I can't find the link to download the files anymore. So you may have to call Symantec if no one else posts a link. (Both WS6 and Converter3 would need the updated DLL.)

Alternatively, you can use BESR7's built-in feature to create VMDKs. In the KB article is a link to KB292809 which describes how to do that. Create a new VM and specify the VMDKs you created with BESR7 instead.

0 Kudos
pnewell
Contributor
Contributor

I already did that, and alas, it didn't help. Smiley Sad

Any other thoughts?

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Already did what? Install the DLL file or use BESR to create the VMDK? I have done both and have made VM successfully (XP host, WS6 on one and Converter3 to Server1 on Win2k3 host.)

Worst case (well, maybe not worst case) you can always create a new VM and restore the BESR image into the VM, just like you would a real machine.

Me, I don't get consistent enough conversions when importing the BESR images. (I use Converter3 most of the time) Win2k & Win2k3 servers mostly. About 80% success rate. Hot cloning with Converter3 gives me better percentages for my environment. (Nearly 100% so far. The failures were mostly due to network issues.) But didn't have any additional problems with the DLL or the VMDK created by BESR. If the conversion failed with the older version of BESR (Livestate 6 & 6.5), it failed with BESR7. So I converted that machine by hot cloning.

0 Kudos
pnewell
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I updated the .dlls (I had downloaded the .dll from Symantec a while ago). I found the .dll in two spots, so I replaced the old ones (which were the ones that came with the newest build, 59824) with the one I downloaded from Symantec.

For whatever reason, the built-in 'File>Open...' option isn't working, nor is'File>Import...', even after I updated the .dlls. I had my network admin download the "VMware Converter 3.0.2 (Starter Edition)" and for whatever reason it can import two of our three .sv2i files, but again, he can't do it inside of VMware workstation (neither can I), which is what we're trying to do.

Any other things you think I might be able to try?

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Then use the "create VMDK" feature built-in to BESR. Run BESR, create the VMDK. Then start up WS, create a new VM, and select "Use an existing virtual disk" and select the VMDK that BESR creates. (I've done this before. I just haven't done it in a while.)

0 Kudos
pnewell
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I know I can do that (along with just using the 'stand alone' VMware Converter), but the 'File>Open' option is just so much more convenient, and I'd like to utilize it. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Then sorry, I can't tell you much more. It's working for me (WS6,0.0-45731 Converter3.0.1-44840, BESR 7.0.0.20351.) I'm waiting for company timeframe to update my versions of WS & Converter. Maybe something broke in the later builds? Me personally, I just need to get my work done so whatever way that I can import the machine. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos