VMware Communities
sburr45
Contributor
Contributor

Can't Get VMWare 12 To Work!

Every simngle time that I  try to inst all any old version of Windows in VMWare Workstation 12 I utterly fail to do so! When I  try to power on the newly created Winx VM I always get the error message saying that it can't find the boot medium on a black screen. The first line says " Network boot from AMD Am79C970A" and the last line says "Operating System not found". Thanx to anyone who can help me with this.     

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

hi,

Please name the winodws iso you are using. Not all ISOs are compatible with vmware, the architecture (i386 etc) is important.

Also provide the virtual scsis controller selected. like lsi, paravirtual etc

0 Kudos
alreadytaken
Contributor
Contributor

check device status for virtual cdrom. It should be connected, it's probably not.

0 Kudos
sburr45
Contributor
Contributor

Hi yezdi. To answer yoiur question of me, I have mainly 3 of those iso files for installation of past Windows operating systems which I will at tach in my response  to you. I am not sure wha t the name of my virtual scsis controller.

edit by wila: removed copyright protected binaries, replaced them with a picture (see below)

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
sburr45
Contributor
Contributor

I frankly/honestly don't knolw what the Virtual CDRom is or how it can be accessed in VMWare Workstation 12. I am a complete "newbie" to using VMWare.

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

please follow the steps in following article. instead of windows 7 iso you can use the version you would like to install.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

A virtual machine is like a physical machine, but all of the hardware is in software.

So instead of a physical CDrom player that you sometimes see in hardware, there's a feature that imitates this CDrom player, this then is called a virtual CDrom player.

Now as you cannot put a real CDrom in that player, you need a file that contains all of the contents of that particular CD.

This is what the .iso or .img files are that you attached in your reply.

Your virtual CD player needs to select those files AND the cdrom player needs to be connected to your virtual machine in order to work.

Eg. in your menu -> VM -> Removable Devices -> CD/DVD (IDE) -> Settings

Then select one of the iso files you want to boot from via the browse button

Make sure that both "Connected" and "Connect at power on" options are checked.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

0 Kudos