VMware Communities
kdpike
Contributor
Contributor

Can someone help me gain access to my USB ports

I am new to VMware Workstation. I have version 5.5.3 Build-34685 loaded on my Windows Vista Ultimate machine and I have loaded Windows XP pro as the guest operating system within the VMware workstation basically so I can run any programs in XP that are not quite compatable yet with Vista. All of my Host devices are recognized under VM-Removable Devices. They each (CDRom/Audio/Ethernet/Serial) have a checkmark by them and all are accessed and work. Listed Underneath them is USB Devices without a checkmark by it, and out to the right are the 3 USB devices I have attached to the Host computer. Each time I try to click on any of the usb devices to activate them, a checkmark is not showing up and consequently I am unable to access any of the USB devices. Under my hardware settings within MVware Workstation, The USB Controller is listed as Present.

Can someone please tell me how to get access to my USB devices??? I really need access to these to be able to run a couple important programs in XP. You can email me if necessary to kdpike@juno.com. Appreciate any help. Thks.

KD

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

If you are using Vista as your host OS, you are better off using VMware Workstation 6 that is currently in beta. Your host is not a supported host OS with WS 5.x and you may have issues trying to use USB devices with that host OS with WS 5.x

0 Kudos
kdpike
Contributor
Contributor

Thks. I'll try the version 6 and see if I can access the usb devices.

KD

0 Kudos
kdpike
Contributor
Contributor

Kevin, I loaded Version 6-Beta and everything works great. It picked up all 3 USB devices I had attached to the host (Vista Ultimate OS). Appreciate your help.

KD

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for the update Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
wayham
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem with accessing usb ports with XP-pro as virtual achine and vista as host. Please e-mail any progress you have made in this area to wayham@owensboro.net.

THANKS

0 Kudos
wayham
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem with accessing usb ports with XP-pro as virtual achine and vista as host. vmwARE sERVER 1.0.2 is my server. Please e-mail any progress you have made in this area to wayham@owensboro.net.

THANKS

0 Kudos