VMware Communities
chcw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can "Boot with EFI" work as "Secure Boot" for Windows 11?

Hi,

Currently I am using VMWare Workstation Pro 12.5.7.

I have installed Windows 10 Professional(64bit) on a Virutal Machine and use BIOS as the boot method.

However, now I want to upgrade to Windows 11 and it says I need to change to UEFI secure boot to support such an upgrade.

Now I use the option "Settings -> Advanced -> Boot with EFI instead of BIOS" and follow the instructions from https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Switch-from-BIOS-to-UEFI-for-Existing-Windo... to start Windows 10 with EFI successfully.

However, after running PC Health Check on https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/windows-11#pchealthcheck , I will still get the error "This PC must support secure boot" error message. Why?

Does that mean EFI is different from UEFI so it cannot work as secure boot?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I just ran the New VM Wizard under Workstation Pro 16.1.2.  When it reached the section about booting, there were radio buttons for BIOS or UEFI.  And under the UEFI option was a checkbox for Secure Boot.  So I would take that to indicate that the Secure Boot option was added some time after version 12.  Especially knowing version 12 is several years old, and does not even support running on Windows 10 if I remember correctly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I just ran the New VM Wizard under Workstation Pro 16.1.2.  When it reached the section about booting, there were radio buttons for BIOS or UEFI.  And under the UEFI option was a checkbox for Secure Boot.  So I would take that to indicate that the Secure Boot option was added some time after version 12.  Especially knowing version 12 is several years old, and does not even support running on Windows 10 if I remember correctly.

0 Kudos