VMware Communities
mmoser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can one teach VMware WorkStation to NOT attach certain devices to a VM?

What I find increasingly tedious with VMware workstation (I am using v9) is, that it always automatically attaches *all* USB devices being plugged-in while VM-Workstation is running automatically to a VM.

On my workstation/laptop I frequently have a VM open over extended periods while developing and testing some programs. During that time, ALL USB devices (memory sticks, security tokens, my mobile phone, etc.) that I plug in are automatically attached to that VM without asking. However, I want them to be attached to the host, i.e. the main system. Only when they don't show up there for more that half a minute or so after plugging them in, I usually realize, that they *again* have been hooked up to the VM and then I neeed to manually detach them and connect them to the host instead.

I find that TEDIOUS! Can't one teach WorkStation to memorize these settings and only automatically attach devices, that have been previously attached to some VM or at least ask me?

M.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This may not cover every scenario however it's a place to start, have a look at: Disable Automatic Connection of USB Devices

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This may not cover every scenario however it's a place to start, have a look at: Disable Automatic Connection of USB Devices

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You could also try the following option set in the VM's .vmx configuration file.

usb.generic.autoConnect = "FALSE"
0 Kudos
mmoser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah - I had seen that before, but since was always grayed out, I thought that's something one can only configure during VM creation. Now I realized, that one can change that setting also later but only while the VM is powered off. I don't see any technical reason, why it should be impossible to change such a VMware setting while a VM is running, but at least there is a way to change that. And it even works!

Thanks,

M.

0 Kudos