VMware Communities
PintoPony
Contributor
Contributor

Can not ping host IP "Destination host unreachable"

This is my first Workstation deployment, building a test system where the VM guests will need to communicate to the host via a TCP/IP socket.

The host is Windows Server 2008 R2

I am currently running VM guest OS's as Windows XP and Windows server 2008 R2

I can ping both VM Guest OS's from the host and can ping between the two Guest OS's.

What I can not do is ping from the Guest OS's to the host.  When I try that I get the message "Destination host unreachable".

Any ideas on what I need to do to be able to access the Host from the Guest OS's via TCP/IP?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have you temporarily turned of all Firewalls, AntiVirus and Security Software on both the Host and the Guest when troubleshooting connectivity issues and re-enable in a logical manner to determine what if any are causing connectivity issues  between them?

Archive and attach the .vmx configuration file and the vmware.log files for each of the VM's.

Also need to see the full output of ipconfig /all on the Host and the Guests.

Copy & paste the following commands, as is, and press Enter...

On the Host in a  in a Command Prompt... (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt)

ipconfig /all > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\host_ipconfig.txt"

This will create a file on the Host's Desktop named host_ipconfig.txt

On the Guests in a Command Prompt... (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt)

ipconfig /all > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\guest_ipconfig.txt"

This will create a file on the Guest's Desktop named guest_ipconfig.txt

Archive the files unedited and attach to a reply post.

0 Kudos
PintoPony
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for your reply.

1. I have disabled all of the firewall, antivirus etc programs running on both the host and the guests.  The issue is not resolved by turning off these programs.

2. Attached are the Log files, IPconfig files and vmx files.

Thank You,

Dan

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Okay I see you're using Bridged Networking on the Guests and even though the Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller is disabled I want you to disable Automatic Bridging in the Virtual Network Editor and set VMnet0 to use D-Link DWA-160 Xtreme N Dual Band USB Adapter and then test again.

If this doesn't correct the situation then as another test I need you, if possible, to enable the Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller and set VMnet0 to use it and disconnect the D-Link DWA-160 Xtreme N Dual Band USB Adapter and test again and report back the results of your configuration changes and tests.

0 Kudos
PintoPony
Contributor
Contributor

Well,  I went through every permutation of adapter enabled, disabled settings and could not get a ping from the Guests back to the hosts.

I am able to ping all of the other network resources from the guest OS's so I am pretty sure it is some sort of odd setting on the host 2008 R2 server I have not stumbled across yet.  I will keep plugging away at settings to see if I stumble across something.

In the mean time I am going to deploy another guest 2008 R2 server and use the three guest OS's as my testing platform instead of using the host as one of the platforms.

I really appreciate your time and help.  If you think of something else for me to try I would appreciate that advice as well.

If / when I stumble across a solution I will post it to the discussion board.

Thank You,

Dan 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Even though it's in German, you may want to take a look at http://blogs.technet.com/b/ralfschnell/archive/2008/07/17/konfiguration-von-ping-in-windows-server-2... which describes how to allow ICMP on a Windows 2008 R2 host. --> netsh firewall set icmpsetting 8

André

0 Kudos