VMware Communities
als77
Contributor
Contributor

Can WP v16 pass VXLAN traffic?

Part of my NSX-T 3.1.1 lab is a laptop running Windows w/WP.v16 with plentiful resources.
The primary hardwire ethernet port is a bridge (vmnet2) connection to my LAN management while the laptop wireless is bridge (vmnet0) to HOME/Guest network. The WP ESXi VMs, only use the bridged "lab mgmt", plus 3 other adapters as type LAN Segment.

(4) ESXi 7.0.2 VMs adapter configuration:
0 - Bridged VMNET2 (Lab Mgmt subnet)
1 / 2 / 3 - Lan Segment

My ESXi servers, are assigned to a v7.0.2 vCenter running on separate ESXi server on LAN Mgmt subnet. NSX Manager is 3.1.1

I have a mix of VSS (vmnic 0/1) and VDS (vmnic 2/3, w/Jumbo Frames @ 9000), with VLAN tagging on VMNIC 1,2,&3
Note all the adapters are of type "VMware Inc. vmxnet3 Virtual Ethernet Controller"
I can communicate (PING) on those VLAN subnets using VMNICs 1,2&3 when using the "default" TCP/IP stack
I can vmkping VMK's between ESXI servers that use vmnic 2&3 as uplinks when using the "default" TCP/IP stack

When I try to vmkping VMK's between ESXI servers that use vmnic 2&3 as uplinks using the "vxlan" TCP/IP stack, it FAILs.

Seems like the WP.v16 switch that supports my LAN segments cannot pass "VXLAN" traffic. Again it passes VLAN traffic fine.

Is this the correct outcome? WP.v16 cannot process VXLAN?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies