VMware Communities
Codrut1001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can Viruses Escape from my Virtual machines?

I recently started posting tech videos about virtual machines on youtube and I want to test viruses in my virtual machines for my YouTube account, but I am unsure how do I set a VMware workstation pro 14 virtual machine correctly so virus can not get to my main unit. Does anyone know what setting shuld I apply for me to make sure the Viruses stay contained?

ScreenShot_20200406101022.pngScreenShot_20200406101030.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Don't give the VM any kind of virtual network adapter in the hardware settings: Removing Hardware from a Virtual Machine

Or disconnect the virtual network adapter: Configuring Virtual Network Adapter Device Status Settings

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Don't give the VM any kind of virtual network adapter in the hardware settings: Removing Hardware from a Virtual Machine

Or disconnect the virtual network adapter: Configuring Virtual Network Adapter Device Status Settings

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Also, don't enable any of the VMware Shared Folders.

wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In addition to the above: Only run your virus in a fully up to date VMware Workstation Professional version...

FTR, Workstation 14 has known escapes, so I personally wouldn't run a virus in that and first upgrade to Workstation 15.5

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva