VMware Communities
EileenW
Contributor
Contributor

Can I use vmrun commands on multiple VMs simultaneously?

Hi,

I have VMW Workstation 7.1.2 installed on my Win7 machine, and I have multiple VMs.

If I have a batch file (test1.bat) that does the following through vmrun:

1.Start VM1

2.Copy some files to VM1

3.Run Program in VM1(This program can take several hours to finish)

4.Copy result files from VM1 back to host

And I have another batch file (test2.bat) that does exactly the same thing except that everything will be happening on VM2.

My question is: can I run these 2 batch files simultaneously? Assuming that the host machine has enough physical resouces (memory etc) to handle multiple VMs at the same time.

Thanks,

Eileen

0 Kudos
3 Replies
joehecht
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have no problems (carefully) doing that sort of thing Smiley Happy

J

EileenW
Contributor
Contributor

Why do you put "carefully" there? Is that anything to watch out for?

0 Kudos
joehecht
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, you should watch out for anything that is not well thought out and done carefully Smiley Happy

That being said, I must re-think my original answer. I have not run several instances of VMRun and left them hanging for hours at a time.

For something like that, I have the VM send some sort of signal that it is done via a client server apps. In fact, I have some apps that run for days (or weeks) on end, sending out progress reports every so often, with other VM's monitoring the results for problems, and if needed, doing things like changing gateways, rebooting VM's and host machines, starting replacement machines and the like to keep things going in a simi-failsafe manner.

J

0 Kudos