VMware Communities
SomeT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can I use VM Workstation 15 Pro commercial license on more than one machine?

I mainly use my main and only desktop PC with Windows 10, so it's initially installed on here under the purchased license.

I have a macbook, with dual boot mac os x and windows 10, can I install it on here, on my macbook under the same license?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Oh, it is the correct answer, but at the moment I don't know where to show you this on a publicly available page.

From the End User License Agreement (EULA):

2.3   Copying Permitted.  You may copy the Software and Documentation as necessary to install and run the quantity of copies licensed, but otherwise for archival purposes only.

So unless your license is allowed for multiple copies (The Type field would say "Volume" in your help -> About box) you can only run 1 copy.

See for an explanation here:

Obtaining the Workstation Pro Software and License Key

You can find your copy of the EULA here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\EULA.rtf

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Technically that is possible.

From a licensing point of view it is not. Each host must have its own license.

The Workstation FAQ doesn't exactly spell it out:

What is VMware Workstation Pro? | FAQs

but the "can I switch between Windows and Linux" paragraph does strongly suggest it.

quote:

Can I switch between Windows and Linux versions?

Yes. You can switch between Windows and Linux versions of VMware Workstation Pro using the same license key. If you decide to switch host operating systems, you must uninstall Workstation Pro from the host operating system you no longer plan to use. If you plan to run VMware Workstation Pro on a Linux host and a Windows host, you need to purchase two licenses.

I'm sure it is spelled out in the actual license EULA you had to agree on installing though.

This KB article does have that statement:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2126721

quote:

Can I use the same license key for installing VMware Workstation on multiple computers?

The End User License Agreement (EULA) linked to the VMware Workstation does not allow you to install another Workstation with the same license key. You require a separate Workstation license for each installation.

But unfortunately that KB article is not yet updated for Workstation 15.x (I put in a request for that)

I'm pretty sure the rules haven''t changed though.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
SomeT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"But unfortunately that KB article is not yet updated for Workstation 15.x (I put in a request for that)"

Thanks for putting in a request, hopefully, it will get updated soon so I know the correct answer.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Oh, it is the correct answer, but at the moment I don't know where to show you this on a publicly available page.

From the End User License Agreement (EULA):

2.3   Copying Permitted.  You may copy the Software and Documentation as necessary to install and run the quantity of copies licensed, but otherwise for archival purposes only.

So unless your license is allowed for multiple copies (The Type field would say "Volume" in your help -> About box) you can only run 1 copy.

See for an explanation here:

Obtaining the Workstation Pro Software and License Key

You can find your copy of the EULA here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\EULA.rtf

--

Wil

0 Kudos