VMware Communities
pasedlar
Contributor
Contributor

Can I use 8GB on 32-bit Windows 2003?

Hi,

I recently purchased the latest version of Workstation (6.5.2?). I have a new Dell e-6500 laptop with 8gb of memory. I planned to install Windows 2003 Enterprise Server 64-bit, but it appears the CPU in this dell won't support it?? So, I am on plan B. I would like to install Windows 2003 Server (32-bit) as the primary OS and two guest Windows 2003 Servers (all 32-bit). I hope to give the primary OS about 2gb of memory, and the two guest OS's about 3gb each.

I guess my question boils down to if I use a 32-bit OS, can Workstation utilize all 8gb of memory (2gb for host, and 3gb for each guest os)? It probably doesn't matter but I have a 128gb (SSD) hard drive which isn't a lot of room, but I hope to give each OS about 40 gb.

Has anyone done somthing like this? I would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You'll want to have a 64-bit Host OS if you want to address all 8 GB of installed RAM.

Dell's web site lists E6500 laptops as coming with Intel Core 2 Duo Processors, which I belive are 64-bit processors. Do you know which model processor is installed in your laptop?

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Only 2003 Enterprise and Datacenter edition can use more than 4 Gb of RAM

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
steelburn
Contributor
Contributor

Answering your question,

VMware Workstation utilizes your Operating System resources. If your physical memory that can be read by your 32-bit OS is just 3.5GB, the amount of physical memory that your VMware Workstation can use is less than that (because your OS itself needs some of the resources). You can create 2 guest machines as per your plan, but they will not take any of the remaining physical RAM you have.

pasedlar
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all the posts. The sticker on my laptop says Centrino Duo, and it came with Vista Business 64 bit. So, it must be a 64 bit processor. I plan to scrap Vista Business, and install Windows 2003 Enterprise Server X64 (I hope to anyways) as the host OS. If this goes okay, my hope is to then install two guest Windows 2003 ES 64 bit servers.

I hope this goes okay. Thanks again.

0 Kudos