VMware Communities
DocHodges
Contributor
Contributor

Can I stop a user from changing the VM memory?

I run several servers with VMware Workstaiton 7.  Employees connect to them and work with VMs.  The users need RW access to the vmx file for making snapshots etc.  I want them to be able to change most things but not the memory.  If a user sets the memory from 3GB to 30GB they will take all of the RAM the server has.

Is there a way in the vmx file to stop the user from changing the memory?

Thanks - Doc

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

AFAIK no parameter that would do this exists - a clever user could delete it anywa
Have a look at the ACE-features - maybe they can help you

iw123
Commander
Commander

I'd say Workstation is really a single user application so there isnt really a security model. Perhaps the free version of ESXi would be a alternative option?

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
DocHodges
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the answers.  Our model requires Workstation so I may be stuck with a cron job/script solution that greps the value when I provision it and keeps sed'ing it back.  Crude but it might work.

Cheers - Doc

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

That will work - I have done similar things before.

Just keep in mind that running the script is useless when the VM is running - as WS would overwrite the changes when the VM is powered off next time.

Maybe educating your users that adding RAM to a VM that already uses a good value very probably slows the VM down rather than adding performance is another good idea 😉

If you are a hardcore guy you could remove the UI-option to configure the amount of RAM.

0 Kudos
DocHodges
Contributor
Contributor

I am not a hardcore guy but since I work at Novell I have access to some very sharp people.  What would we have to do to stop them from changing memory for a VM in the GUI?  All of our admin work would happen in scripts or terminal sessions so stopping the casual user at the GUI level would be ideal.

You suggested "Maybe educating your users that..."     Glad to see you still have a sense of humor   😉

Cheers - Doc

0 Kudos