VMware Communities
mike98765
Contributor
Contributor

Can I run VMware Workstation Pro with Device Guard/Credential Guard and Hyper-V?

Hi, I have VMware Workstation Pro on Windows Server 2019. I am getting an error that I can't run VMware with Device Guard/Credential Guard. I also have Hyper-V Manager installed. On Server 2019. I've had this problem before and always used the command "bcdedit set hypervisorlaunchtype off." I'm sure that will work again. My question is, when I check the error DG/CG, it gives me a link to VMware saying "Windows 10 20H1 build 19041.264 or newer, upgrade/update to Workstation 15.5.6 or above." I have Server 2019 vNext Insider Preview Build 20282, and Workstation Pro 16.1.0 build-17198959. Also, I have an i7-6700 Skylake. It says anything after Sandy Bridge works. So how do I open VM's with Device Guard/Credential Guard enabled? I'm reading about disabling Hyper-V and VBS. I'd like to keep DG/CG so I can use the security "meets the requirements for standard hardware security" in Windows Defender Security. (Device Security tab.) I'd like to try that. So, can I run VMware with Device Guard/Credential Guard enabled? Please reply. Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mike98765
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone? VMware and DG/CG?

0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert

Regular Server 2019 uses the same kernel as Windows 10 1809, so it's too old for VMWare to run alongside Hyper-V. Newer insider builds should work, although IIRC, some recent Windows 10 insider builds did have problems with Hyper-V support in VMWare.

0 Kudos
mike98765
Contributor
Contributor

I'm back. I'm using Server 2019 Build 20287. It does say "2004" under Build Info in Windows Update. So it's too old for VMware and Hyper-V? At the same time? And also Device Guard / Credential Guard?

0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert

2004 builds should be new enough to support VMWare with Hyper-V enabled (just hope it's not one of the builds where this was broken).

0 Kudos