VMware Communities
accessory
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can I expose VT-x or AMD-V to the VM?

Hi:

I try to do some development on VT-x or AMD-V. I just wonder if it is possible to expose (or virtualize or emulate) the VT-X OR AMD-V to the guest OS, so that I can develop it in a VM. I think if I can do it, the development envrionment will be more convient : I don't need a serial cable and two computers.

I tried the settings in VM 6.5.1 for processor. But even if I select VT-X or AMD-V in the settins, the guest OS cannot see the VMX flag from the CPU.

Has anyone done that before? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ksc
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The existing implementation masks out VT/SVM CPUID bits and generates faults for the VT/SVM instructions, so the guest will never see them.

Is it theoretically possible to emulate? Yes. Happens to be very difficult - emulating VT or SVM instruction takes a lot of slow VT or SVM instructions, so any implementation would likely suffer in performance. So while this is indeed on the feature wishlist, you should not have any expectations about when (or if) it would appear.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure we don't virtualize VT-x or AMD-V instructions (that would be really hard and really slow). Without being familiar with Workstation, I would assume the settings affect whether VT-x/AMD-V are used by the host, not whether the guest can see them.

ksc
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The existing implementation masks out VT/SVM CPUID bits and generates faults for the VT/SVM instructions, so the guest will never see them.

Is it theoretically possible to emulate? Yes. Happens to be very difficult - emulating VT or SVM instruction takes a lot of slow VT or SVM instructions, so any implementation would likely suffer in performance. So while this is indeed on the feature wishlist, you should not have any expectations about when (or if) it would appear.

0 Kudos
accessory
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I see. Thanks ksc and etung.

0 Kudos